RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went down on the bike sat, we are both for the most part ok. Im a lil sore but my suit held up well. The bike is amazingly pretty good. I rode it home over a hour after the wreck. The big thing that worries me is i broke a stop tab off my lower triple tree. Is there any problem with just leaving it, or is it weldable?

My right side plastics are cracked a lil and rashed, my sato's came out fine and my tail is a lil rashed and has 1 crack in it. Other than a damaged brake pedal and a busted mirror and signal thats about it.

Anyone have a lil insight on what to do about the tab?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Anyone have a lil insight on what to do about the tab?
PITA. Glad you are okay!

I've seen those tabs welded on one RC and several other parts bikes before. It seems like the repair is really based on the quality/skill of the welder. Sometimes they break in too odd of a spot to repair though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea it was rider error, was riding in a group of about 25 people and came int a turn hot (90mph or so) and i hit a dip in the road and was leaned to far over to save it. i slid about 100ft and the bike flipped once, landing on the same side. we both came out pretty well considering. i rode it a hour back home and with hands off the bars it still tracked straight!!! all my plastics are usable just ugly lol. i have a new rear brake lever on the way and just need a front fender and a mirror and signal to be back on the road!

FWIW: YES I AM A IDIOT FOR DOING THIS ON THE STREET, I KNOW THAT! I have been told repeatedly how lucky i am, and even though i am very glad to be ok im still really bummed about my bike.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
FWIW: YES I AM A IDIOT FOR DOING THIS ON THE STREET, I KNOW THAT! I have been told repeatedly how lucky i am, and even though i am very glad to be ok im still really bummed about my bike.
Let those who have not sinned cast the first stone....lets just say, I am glad you're okay.:D Luck or not.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea looks like rc51parts is gonna be getting most of my next paycheck! im very happy to say my sato's made it through with just a dent on the midpipe! and my tank dosent even have a scratch

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
sorry to hear that man, hope you can get everything fixed fairly easy and without a huge dent in the wallet. Glad you walked away ok though, thats the important thing. Don't beat yourself up over the street thing, all of us have done it and most of us still do every once in awhile.Some twisties are just too irresistable. Smart.....no, but we still do.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Glad you are ok. Don't beat yourself over the mistake. You'll get enough beating out of fixing the situation.

A broken tab is usually an instant salvage title to an insurance company. Have it welded and you should be fine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
that is the exact reason im not turning it in to insurance. should i remove the triple and bring it it or can it be welded on the bike? i eventually plan on replacing the lower triple, but if i can get it welded for now then that will save me a lil cash till i get to my busy season at work. hopefully in a 2 months no one will even be able to tell!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i went to the local welding shop, they said to take it off. but they are gonna weld it, grind smooth and paint it for $30! now what size is that damn nut on the top of the triple lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
wow looking at the service manual.... this look like a pita to get the triple off. am i really gonna need special tools?

ok anything i need to know on taking the triple off? i am assuming the bearing race will slide off the shaft pretty easy right?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
39 x 41mm socket wrench is what the book says. SP1 39, SP2 41 is my guess.

Harbor Freight store is a good place to pick up some of these and not blow a huge amount of cash.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok triple is off, im a lil worried that when they weld the tab back on that the rubber dust seal on the bearing wont survive. then that means ill have to get a bearing and get it pressed on.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
so the damn dust shield is gonna be toast if they weld it. looking on bike bandit i dont see anywhere to just buy the lower dust shield. Looking at it i dont see how the race can come past the threaded end anyway without destroying the threads!

screw it, im just gonna order another one

ok gotta love ebay... $130 delivered

1 - 20 of 28 Posts