1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Kind of explains why Rossi's been lagging just a little.
But even if he's starting on the third row, his actual times are usually within a second of the fastest qualifiers. That's pretty damn close when it takes just under 2 minutes to do a lap.
Sounds like the softer carcass tires and the physical movement at the beginning of the fork stroke was screwing up his late braking.
Good article GTS!
And I'm glad for Rossi too.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Amazing they can tune forks for different initial damping compared to that later travel. On our forks we can't do that! :D Well, stuff like this is perhaps partly why these bikes are so expensive to build & develop.

I'd love to see Rossi continue winning from here on, or at least be on the podium and most of all, would be great to see him win another title. Maybe, maybe not a possibility? Time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
I think Rossi made a bad move switching to Ducati.
He may have had issues with Yamaha, but it was still a potential winner rather than a certain loser.
That was prime race time squandered that could have been used to win points leading to a possible championship.
The devil you know may be better than the devil you don't.

I also feel this way with Nicky Hayden.
His loyalty can't be discounted, but racing is a business. And like a business, a rider has to look out after number 1.
And if the bike can't fulfill the task, or management is unwilling to make the necessary changes, then it's time to think about terminating the agreement.

I hope Nicky will do well back at Honda, and I hope Rossi can find what he's looking for, but both riders are competing in a sport where stature is now a major determining factor, and all teams are now looking for humans the size of rhesus monkeys to design their bikes around. The age of "designer riders" is increasingly upon us.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
From what I read, Rossi had never missed a GP race until he was injured on a Duc.
It seems to me that Ducati has had an overall negative impact on some of it's top riders. I don't hold much hope at all for Cal.

I think Rossi may be announcing his retirement after the Mugello race next year...

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I think Rossi made the move to Ducati because he wanted to win for an Italian manufacturer, in his final seasons. Unfortunately the bike proved to be uncompetitive and still is. Sad, as it's a truly beautiful machine. Was amazing to look at close up...

Anyways, I think the writing's on the wall. This will be his last season...
The newer guys are faster than he is.
For example I noticed at Motegi Rossi's switch front right to left on the chicane after the back straight weren't as aggressive / fast as say Lorenzo's and Marquez. He's not as prepared to crash as the younger riders either & I don't blame him - he's been a champion for a very long time. I guess he's not really that hungry any more but I still hope he'll prove us all wrong and come into a winning streak next year.
Should be another great season. We'll be at Motegi.... we need to get Carlos' tail cowl signed by the Doc before his time expires! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
OK, I can do that for you next year buddy - but only one (Can't do them for everybody...
Unless I can just scan mine... it's got Hayden, Rossi & Edward's signatures.
Then someone just make a transfer and you can have as many signed cowls as you want! :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think that Rossi wanted to Prove to Yamaha that he was the man, and he could do it without them. I am sure that Duc promised him the moon and stars to come, that they would build him a golden chariot to take him to the podium. When you think about it, it really was a fantastic fairytale ... Italian rider on his Italian bike dominates the world ... The End. Unfortunately, that was easier dreamed than done, and Duc was unwilling to accept that their bike was a huge part of the problem. He wasted precious time on a terrible bike, and he will never get that time back.

I am sure that he believes that Jeremy was the problem this year, and he need to prove that to himself, before he accepts the inevitable fact that the young guns are coming up braver and better than he. They are willing to ride the edge and he prefers a safer path. I just hope that they can find someone top-shelf to replace Jeremy, or he will quickly become the scapegoat for why Rossi is not on the podium. I honestly believe that they MUST have someone already lined up ... right?

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
I think that Rossi wanted to Prove to Yamaha that he was the man, and he could do it without them. I am sure that Duc promised him the moon and stars to come, that they would build him a golden chariot to take him to the podium. When you think about it, it really was a fantastic fairytale ... Italian rider on his Italian bike dominates the world ... The End. Unfortunately, that was easier dreamed than done, and Duc was unwilling to accept that their bike was a huge part of the problem. He wasted precious time on a terrible bike, and he will never get that time back.

I am sure that he believes that Jeremy was the problem this year, and he need to prove that to himself, before he accepts the inevitable fact that the young guns are coming up braver and better than he. They are willing to ride the edge and he prefers a safer path. I just hope that they can find someone top-shelf to replace Jeremy, or he will quickly become the scapegoat for why Rossi is not on the podium. I honestly believe that they MUST have someone already lined up ... right?
Burgess' replacement was on hand for the last race of the season.
But what can be done for one race?
Better to see what the results are next season.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
From what I read, Rossi had never missed a GP race until he was injured on a Duc.
It seems to me that Ducati has had an overall negative impact on some of it's top riders. I don't hold much hope at all for Cal.

I think Rossi may be announcing his retirement after the Mugello race next year...
If you think the Ducati MotoGP bikes had problems, their WSBK bikes were worse.
Checa retired after his Panigale pitched him off and broke his pelvis, and the Alstare team ditched Ducati for Aprilia next year.
2013 was not a good year for Ducati all around.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Burgess' replacement was on hand for the last race of the season.
Who is this guy?

He had better have a pretty good pedigree, he has very large shoes to fill.

I wish them both lots of luck, they are going to need it.
(and all of this coming from a rabid Rossi fan)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts