RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I change my coolant over and run the bike nice and easy, it stays nice and cool. Then, when I really want to hammer it, it blasts some of the coolant into the overflow tank like it should. but then it stays there, even when the Rc starts to run quite hot, it doesnt recall the fluid.

At the mo Im having to such the fluid out of the overflow tank (via an external hose) back into the main coolant once a month, then it runs normal again for a while.

why isnt the fluid being sucked back out from the overflow into the main system when the bike needs it?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Either that or a bad radiator cap. It has to seal on the pressure side, and the suction side to operate properly.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
^ +2

Your coolant system doesn't suck coolant in from the overflow tank when it's running warm or hot. It will expel coolant to the overflow tank because of the building pressure heat causes.
Then when your bike cools back down after you're done riding, it sucks the coolant back into the radiator. As the temp lowers, pressure is relieved, and as it gets cooler, a slight vacuum is created, which is why it then sucks coolant back into the rad.

Unless your rad cap is bad. Or your hose is leaky, pinched ,clogged, etc. It's a good idea to thoroughly clean your overflow bottle too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts