RC51 Forums banner

What features do you wish had been stock?

8K views 58 replies 26 participants last post by  pbc0 
#1 ·
Just wondering if some of the experienced jockeys wish the RC51 had come with a certain something as stock.

For me, why the hell did they not put a clock in the display!? Yeah shift light would be nice. Gear indicator great, but really? Couldn't put one more toggle with the temp/trip/odometer?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
I completely agree with you about the clock! My F4i had a clock, and a gas gauge, very nice to have.

Is it ghetto to just put a cheap sports watch on the handle bars? I've thought about doing that just so I have some time reference.

#5 ·
a little bit carbon airbox/snorkel and perhaps a very mild port and polish may help pick up a few ponies for the old fat girl?

aftermarket wheels sure do make it seem like you gained a few ponies haha

#6 ·
Gas gauge, clock. Iactually bought a cheap clock I mounted on the triple.
I'd say more aggressive looking headlights...
But mine are one off, and I don't like being the same as everyone else.

#18 ·
Less weight? Stop eating so many donuts then.

#13 ·
Realistically, Honda could have fitted a tail light more like a CBR1000R's and made a tidier job than the square rectangle these bikes came with. It would have saved an awful lot of people the hassle of fitting replacement undertail kits and in some cases having to deal with wiring issues caused as a result - further down the road.

The rest of the deficiencies are entirely understandable (suspension, lighter wheels, etc. all cost more money to manufacture).

#14 · (Edited)
The RC51 was a HRC designed purpose built race bike platform to win WSB (and AMA). No need for a clock, or a gas gauge, or a gear indicator, etc. thankfully. ;)

Also the rear square brake lights were used as continued homage to the RC series bikes. Both the RC30 and the RC45 had similar square brake lights.

#15 ·
Nah - RC30 & 45's had two small rectangular tail lights integrated into the tail cowl. The RC51 had a one piece and it's not really similar at all in design. :p

#22 ·
A larger fuel tank... maybe (fully or partly) located in the seat frame for a lower C of G.

#28 ·
I always say it's funny how a fair few of us have VFR's. Can't put my finger on it, but the SP's seem to appeal to VFR owners & vice versa. Maybe it's an appreciation of well engineered bikes. :)

Yep, I don't miss a clock, or fuel gauge on the SP, although a longer range reserve light would be nice. I've ran out of juice a couple of times over the years when trying to stretch it... and the SP's a heavy bike to push! :D

As for gear indicators...gimmicks. Apparently the new VFR800 has one at standard too...

#32 ·
Yep, I don't miss a clock, or fuel gauge on the SP, although a longer range reserve light would be nice. I've ran out of juice a couple of times over the years when trying to stretch it... and the SP's a heavy bike to push! :D
Agreed on the reserve light. I tried to stretch it out one time and ended up pushing. I had to push back to the pits once at the track too. :rolleyes: I didn't think it would only go another lap. Everything else is fine on it though. If I need it to go faster or handle better, I put it in the garage and bring out the ZX-10. :D

#30 ·
LOL I'd prefer an RC51 to a GSXR600 with a factory fitted shift light and a clock. Just sayin'. :p

#31 ·
And what is the deal with all the cables and hoses on the RC? It seems to be twice as many as there were on my old GSXR, and it had a clock by the way.

And I can't stop wondering how slim it could have been if they would have gone for front mount radiators instead of that overly complicated side arrangement.

Otherwise I just love it. It's heavy, it's noisy, it handles like a brick but hey, Who cares?!

#33 ·
I've had more than my share of bikes with no fuel guage, but one sure would be nice. Clock I can live without, I wear a watch. What I don't like is having to toggle the mode button between the trip and temp readouts, that's pretty lame IMO. As for the RC being a "race" bike, it isn't, it's a "replica" of the race bike HRC developed and Honda Powersports Division capitalized on the allure. Our bikes were built for the street so why not have a couple street friendly instument additions to make it a bit more "streetable"? Really, about the only thing I can think of that the bike should have come with from the get go is a decent seat pad. And that can be said of most of the bikes from any OEM.

#34 ·
I've had more than my share of bikes with no fuel guage, but one sure would be nice. Clock I can live without, I wear a watch. What I don't like is having to toggle the mode button between the trip and temp readouts, that's pretty lame IMO. As for the RC being a "race" bike, it isn't, it's a "replica" of the race bike HRC developed and Honda Powersports Division capitalized on the allure.

I would strongly disagree with you. The RC51 is a race homologation. The factory had to create x amount of them and offer them to the public to get them FIM certified for race use. The fact Honda decided to offset the costs of building one-off specials as they had done for many years prior and offer the mass produced RC51 to us was a big bonus. What was also supposed to be offered with the bike was a long list of affordable and easily acquirable race parts which never happened. Getting race parts for the bike was like trying to bottle unicorn farts and if you did find them there was nothing affordable about them.

#39 ·
Well, well, well, let me tell you that the RC needs nothing but a few minor adjustments. The only thing that really annoys me is the rubber gasket around the rear cowl; does anyone else have this problem? The other problem is finding parts, but a stock RC is still impressive stock IMO.

I find the RC51 unique and even if it lacks power these days, it's a head turner and my 2005 RC still tries to pull my arms off when I open her up. It sounds awesome, looks awesome, and rides awesome (so long as you go with the Ohlins and front valve work);)

#42 ·
I actually got a chuckle out of that one... My RC51 was a lot of things, but even with HRC pistons and 15/43 gearing it never tried to dislocate my arms :D It was always kinda anemic. Even back in the day the 2000 model R6 would kill the RC51 in power to weight numbers and sadly those numbers transferred directly to both street & track.

The RC, however has that beautiful, audible nirvana of gear driven cams that few bikes can match and an unparalleled amount of stability that works in your favor rather than against you when set-up properly. Horsepower is not even on the list of its attributes though.

My new ZX-10R trackbike will loft the front end 2 feet in the air on the quickshifter between 3rd & 4th gear at just over 100mph with street tires and I still want more.

#43 ·
I can live with the horsepower. I want a lighter RC somewhere in the range of 420 lbs. with fuel!

#45 ·
I have a Hypermotard and while it doesn't have much hp it's a lot of fun at the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.