RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been collecting some die casts of the different RC51/SP1/SP2 racers and it got me thinking, what happened to all the old bikes that I used to love watching when I was younger?

Are they kept by Honda or are they in private collections or still racing or what?

In 2000 you had Edwards and Slight's Castrol bikes in the World series

In America you had Hayden and Duhamel on the RC51's

In Britain you had Emmett and Byrne on Harris kit bikes with Toseland on the Vimto bike ran by Paul Bird

At the North West 200 and the IoM TT, the Toseland Vimto bike was used by John McGuinness and there was a separate one for Joey Dunlop though he rode a purple Vimto bike at the NW200.

I actually found that McGuinness' bike is in a collection on Facebook with a bunch of other great bikes ran by Mike West Racing and has been on show regularly
Mike West Racing

I had heard that Joey's bike in the red has been on show at the IoM TT museum but not currently. It was exhibited at the Goodwood Festival of Speed a few years back

There;s another one int the same red livery in a big bike museum ran by Mike Silver, notable for having the yellow and black sticker iwth J on it above the intake so there must be two different chassis.

Edwards 2002 SP2 went to Honda UK for 2003 BSB with Plater

and was on show at EICMI in 2019 but with the black liveried tank from the Plater year still on it

Mark Heckles ran in 2002 with Castrol livery but an SP1 chassis and definitely not works support then was team mate to Plater in BSB in 2003, his bike has been for sale recently here:
HONDA VTR 1000 SP-2

Obviously in 2001 Edwards and Okada had a bike each in the World series and Honda USA had RC51's for Duahmel, Hayden, Ben Bostrom and Kurtis Roberts (in Erion colours) throughout 2001. 2002 and 2003, plus the Cabin bikes in Japanese Superbikes and there were plenty of privateers in different seasons and championships running presumably kit or modified street bikes but where are they all?

Anybody know?

Would love to go to EICMA or visit a museum to see one of them in the metal/carbon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
I've heard that some of them are in the Honda museum in Japan (not sure how true or how many), but I think Stig might have an answer to that. One of my Honda Canada reps goes there often and he says there are lots of bikes on display, just never said what they were. Things have gone pretty quiet around here in the last year or so, you might not get much response. I know I'm not here much anymore...

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've heard that some of them are in the Honda museum in Japan (not sure how true or how many), but I think Stig might have an answer to that. One of my Honda Canada reps goes there often and he says there are lots of bikes on display, just never said what they were. Things have gone pretty quiet around here in the last year or so, you might not get much response. I know I'm not here much anymore...
Google ''Honda Collection Hall'' , they have a virtual tour of the museum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've seen various bikes in the Honda collection hall, seems they kept all the 8 hour endurance bikes and exhibits them at different times, although I've not seen the Castrol bike yet.

They ran Castrol WSBK colours in 2000, with Cabin, Sakurai and Seven Stars bikes appearing too between 2000-2003.

All down in the records as SPW rather than SP1/2. Rossi, Edwards, Kato, Hayden, Barros etc all rode them.

I think, although I could be wrong that Edwards' and Okada's 2001 bikes were referred to as an SPW in the official timing for each race in WSBK.

One of the diecast's I have is of the Costes/Charpentier/Gimbert bike that won the 24 Heures du Moto in 2000, the only time a V-Twin has won it I believe:

Also completely forgot than Ian Lougher ran the ex-Edwards and then current Plater/Heckles SP2 in 2003 at the NW200 and TT

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great photos and great history, thanks for posting.
I've often read stories about the Japanese sending the factory bikes to the crusher after the end of each season, but it sounds like Honda has a better sense of the importance of their history.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great photos and great history, thanks for posting.
I've often read stories about the Japanese sending the factory bikes to the crusher after the end of each season, but it sounds like Honda has a better sense of the importance of their history.
Agreed, excellent thread! It would be great if one of the motojournalists would write a book about the RC51. It has such a unique place in Honda racing history. There seems to be a book about every Ducati model ever produced, how ‘bout a little love for the RVT.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The actual whereabouts of Joey's SP1 is one I wonder about.

I'm willing to bet that the hybrid he won the F1TT on has never been reassembled as most of it made its way to Europe and out again in suitcases! I've seen bikes on display that claim to be 'Joeys' but obviously aren't. The purple Vimto bike he ran in the Senior is different again.

I'd LOVE to hear where the real bike or bikes ended up.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Apologies for 9 months of delay, only just come across this thread.

Every time I've been to the Honda Collection hall in Motegi (Whilst attending Moto GP's), I've only seen the one Cabin (Suzuka) Endurance RC51 on display. It's a stunning machine. They did have a Joey Dunlop bike on display at another area of the Moto GP, some 4 years ago, that I went crazy about.
I have some pictures somewhere of it, but would have to hunt for them. I never uploaded any of the pictures I took during that trip.

Reactions: Dr Nick

·
Registered
Honda Vtr1000 SP-Y Castrol colours
91 Posts
Hi Tornado

Thats a very cool looking bike.. Well cool looking couple of bikes really. I was reading your posts on the Aaron Slight thread..
Did you get this from the guy building the TZ750? Did he ever finish it? Would love to see some pics if you have any.

Is your track Rc the "basic racer" version that was available without the lights etc from new?

·
Registered
RVT SP1
19 Posts
Hi Tornado

Thats a very cool looking bike.. Well cool looking couple of bikes really. I was reading your posts on the Aaron Slight thread..
Did you get this from the guy building the TZ750? Did he ever finish it? Would love to see some pics if you have any.

Is your track Rc the "basic racer" version that was available without the lights etc from new?
Hi Tornado

·
Registered
Honda Vtr1000 SP-Y Castrol colours
91 Posts
Excellent Tornado. The "basic racer" is a rare breed, I love it.
I also love old two stroke race bike so if you managed to get some pics I would be massively interested 👍
A old mate of mine had a TZ 750 back in the day. In the end he took the engine out a put it in a racing sidecar outfit when he finished racing solos. He'd swap the barrels to 500cc ones for the various sidecar classes in those days.. he was very competitive at the I.O.M TT for years using that engine. 😁

1 - 20 of 24 Posts