RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded a race quad for a 2001 RC51 and it has 26k miles on it. I know the miles are not accurate because there is a 45t rear sprocket and a 15t front sprocket. My question is: how long will these bikes run if properly maintained and is 20k+ miles considered high?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Vtwins will go alot longer then I4's There's guys on other forums that have well over 50K on their bikes and they street ride and track them 5 or 10 times a year. There is a guy on another forum that has well over 100K on his and he says it runs as good as the day he bought it. I just hit the 24K mark on mine the other day and didn't even think about it. Keep it in good shape and it will last you along time. Remember we're not running around at 13K rpm like the I4's so that tends to help ours last alittle longer also.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Oil is the life blood of an engine.
Change it routinely and use the best you can afford (preferably full synthetic).
These bikes should last a good long time with proper maintenance.
Met with a colleague in Germany who had an NT650 (Hawk) who had 75K trouble free miles.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Oil is the life blood of an engine.
Change it routinely and use the best you can afford (preferably full synthetic).
These bikes should last a good long time with proper maintenance.
Met with a colleague in Germany who had an NT650 (Hawk) who had 75K trouble free miles.
+1 all the way!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just flipped 41,000 on my 01 RC, runs perfect. Why buy anything else but a Honda ? The only problems I've had was a bouncing around ECU, fixed that. Then a leaky fuel tank, Honda replaced that free. Other than that, I got a perfect machine !

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
It's probably got better build quality than the newer bikes.
I've read several articles where manufacturers are cutting corners to hold the prices down.
Paint and finish quality are the usual suspects.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
A motor is a motor. Proper maintenance is key. You can run your RC to 200k without a problem. Scratch it's back and it'll scratch yours.
There are motors...and then there are Honda motors....This is why they have 20 year OEM service requirements on the autos. People just don't junk them like other cars. I have a '91 Accord with 297,000 on her right now. Runs like a top she does.:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got a 92 GSXR750W sitting in my garage with 172000km on her. Still runs great. My RC has 28000km, and to me, that's barely broken in.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Had a colleague in Germany with a Honda NT650 Hawk with 125K Km two years ago.
Uses it as a daily driver in all weather.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Had a guy over on speedzilla just sell his RC with 100.000 miles on the ODO... It ran great and still very srtong !:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts