RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy a RC51. I own a R1, with 28k miles on the seat. What is the best year honda made RC51? Weight? HP? TRQ? Top Speed? I know add ons make a big differance. How fast can you get an RC51? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm going to buy a RC51. I own a R1, with 28k miles on the seat. What is the best year honda made RC51? Weight? HP? TRQ? Top Speed? I know add ons make a big differance. How fast can you get an RC51? Thank you.
try and ride one before you buy it. If your lookin for a hyperbike like your r1, its not gonna happen with the 51

·
Registered
44 Posts
try and ride one before you buy it. If your lookin for a hyperbike like your r1, its not gonna happen with the 51
++++1 for teyin before buyin....This is a whole new beast from I4's....
:DI like the 2003 the best because thats what i got and i think its the sh*t;)....

·
Registered
143 Posts
02-03

I like the 02-03 North Am. bikes because of the blackened out frame and swingarm and 06-08 Black European edition.

I have the 02 version. The silver part of the body I dislike, maybe in the future if it needs a repaint I'll try replacing it with something else, like pearl white and leave the rest as is.

But to each its own, mechanically there are no differences as far as I know from 02-08 SP2 models.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I like the 02-03 North Am. bikes because of the blackened out frame and swingarm and 06-08 Black European edition.

I have the 02 version. The silver part of the body I dislike, maybe in the future if it needs a repaint I'll try replacing it with something else, like pearl white and leave the rest as is.

But to each its own, mechanically there are no differences as far as I know from 02-08 SP2 models.

they stopped making the rc in 06...

personally my favorite is the 04 for the frame, but 05/06 for the bodywork color schemes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
they stopped making the rc in 06...
This has been a common misperception by North American RC51 fans but the bike was still listed by Honda dealers in certain countries that still had a demand for it. In an other forum where this debate went on a British buyer had purchased one new in 09 from an official Honda dealer as an 08 and the frame signified it was an 08 marked frame. The 08 left overs in the UK were still listed together with 09 CBR1k for a few hundred more still.
I believe many European countries had the same thing. In US/CA the last was an 06. There still were no differences till the last one, but there were some revised parts that went on them stock. I think the fuel pressure regulator for the SP2 had two revisions in part numbers replaced.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I have to say '04 for the white nose and tail and the silver frame. It stands out from all the others. I am not a big fan of the black ones sorry but I have a two black cars and hate cleaning them LOL.
Thats my 2 cents LOL

·
Registered
139 Posts
This has been a common misperception by North American RC51 fans but the bike was still listed by Honda dealers in certain countries that still had a demand for it. In an other forum where this debate went on a British buyer had purchased one new in 09 from an official Honda dealer as an 08 and the frame signified it was an 08 marked frame. The 08 left overs in the UK were still listed together with 09 CBR1k for a few hundred more still.
I believe many European countries had the same thing. In US/CA the last was an 06. There still were no differences till the last one, but there were some revised parts that went on them stock. I think the fuel pressure regulator for the SP2 had two revisions in part numbers replaced.

wow, that is very interesting. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Had a 02 and now have a 03 love them both

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

Since this info came up again with this old thread and I don't agree, here's what I've found. Until I see proof of an 07+ Frame VIN tag I don't believe that at all. Yes there has been talk, but no proof of a true 07+ VIN RC51 on the entire internet through all these years (that itself is notable).

From the info I've seen, and by far what makes the most sense, is that 06 was the last year worldwide for production. In Europe some of 05/06 units sat for a while, even a few years before selling. It's been known and observed that some people in some euro countries end up calling the year of the bike the year it was first registered. But the "07" and "08" bikes are still 05 or 06 frames and vins.

For example.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27065#p241902

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Almost four year old thread....let it die.....:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
413 Posts
I gotta assume this is LDH's alter:D Last activity 6-6-2010:rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Since this info came up again with this old thread and I don't agree, here's what I've found. Until I see proof of an 07+ Frame VIN tag I don't believe that at all. Yes there has been talk, but no proof of a true 07+ VIN RC51 on the entire internet through all these years (that itself is notable).

From the info I've seen, and by far what makes the most sense, is that 06 was the last year worldwide for production. In Europe some of 05/06 units sat for a while, even a few years before selling. It's been known and observed that some people in some euro countries end up calling the year of the bike the year it was first registered. But the "07" and "08" bikes are still 05 or 06 frames and vins.

For example.
www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - sp1 colour scheme
Yes I have an 06 but registered in 08

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
FWIW the '05 was the last year availability in Canada, '06 was US only but were the same as '05. And while I'd love the '05/6 just for the beauty of it, I'm with James^^^!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts