RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got 87 at the house, but wanna go to the gas station...what i need? my 929rr was 86 octane but i put in 87.

need help?!

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Per the owner's manual, it needs 91 RON or better.
For myself, I always go for the highest octane at the pump.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
station close to me had 87 89 and 93...i got 93. my 929rr didnt have a highcompression motor, ownersmanufal stated 86. it was odd no one belived me but it ran better on 87 and my friends 954rr on 93. i got a big servie manual for the RC but no place i looked would it tell me what grade of fuel to use.

thanks guys...i love this thing!

·
Registered
131 Posts
station close to me had 87 89 and 93...i got 93. my 929rr didnt have a highcompression motor, ownersmanufal stated 86. it was odd no one belived me but it ran better on 87 and my friends 954rr on 93. i got a big servie manual for the RC but no place i looked would it tell me what grade of fuel to use.

Mine had a sticker on the tank that said 91 or better...

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts

It's in the owners manual, not the service manual. I checked that first.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Nuttin' but Premium BP or Shell in my bike. If in the South...Exxon.:D

Occasionally I will get some of the Sunoco 101 racing fuel and mix it 1 part Sunoco...3 parts Premium....The smell drives 'em wild!

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Chevron 91. I dont know where the stations are that have higher octane, but over the years, it seems chevron gas treats my engines as good as any. btw, in UT, they sell 85 octane at every single station. guess that's what people there use? Altitude maybe, 5000-5500 ft.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We get 91, 96 or 98 here in New Zealand (I cant believe you dont get it over there), I run 96, as 98 does not give anymore power, just makes it run a bit nicer as in smoother in the top end of rev range.

·
Registered
101 Posts
^ That is most likely b/c you are in New Zealand where the octane number is advertised as the straight RON number however in the US the advertised rating is the actually Anti-Knock Index (AKI) which is (RON + MON)/2. This generally reduces the rating by approximately 4 points. If NZ actually uses AKI then that awesome that you have 98 at the pump. If not then you are just running 91-94 like the rest of us in the States.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts