RC51 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a fresh owner of a 2003 RC51(PCIII, K&N filters,Jardine 1 slip ons and8000 miles). I do not have any complaints. More than enough power. The clutch is very sensitive.( will stall easy or kinda sputter in the front end if i am not smooth enough with the throttle). I am just wondering what makes this bike different from others? SP1 from SP2? I am new to the sport bike world. It has been a while since i have been on a rocket (11 yrs:eek:). Any pointers mechanically or other norms, please let me know thx...

Also any good deals on full exhaust (Sato would be nice)....

·
Registered
863 Posts
I am a fresh owner of a 2003 RC51(PCIII, K&N filters,Jardine 1 slip ons and8000 miles). I do not have any complaints. More than enough power. The clutch is very sensitive.( will stall easy or kinda sputter in the front end if i am not smooth enough with the throttle). I am just wondering what makes this bike different from others? SP1 from SP2? I am new to the sport bike world. It has been a while since i have been on a rocket (11 yrs:eek:). Any pointers mechanically or other norms, please let me know thx...

Also any good deals on full exhaust (Sato would be nice)....
Congrats on the new bike. The clutch is hydraulic so there is no adjusting it. With only 8K on the clock I don't think you need a new clutch. Give it more gas when leaving from a stop.:D Or if it is the bucking & surging issue we've all had at low rpm's then I suggest you change your gearing and that will fix the problem tremendously. Your bike is the same as an 02 or an 06 but not the same as 00-01. The differences between an SP1 & SP2 are subtle. The only real big differences would be the swingarm and the fuel injection. The rest is different paint schemes, different fairing stay, the exhaust is a different shape etc. All that adds up to the sp2 being a couple of pounds lighter and makes a couple more horse power at the top of the rev range. As I've told other people before if you knew nothing about the 51 and rode an SP1 & SP2 back to back you would not be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the new bike. The clutch is hydraulic so there is no adjusting it. With only 8K on the clock I don't think you need a new clutch. Give it more gas when leaving from a stop.:D Or if it is the bucking & surging issue we've all had at low rpm's then I suggest you change your gearing and that will fix the problem tremendously. Your bike is the same as an 02 or an 06 but not the same as 00-01. The differences between an SP1 & SP2 are subtle. The only real big differences would be the swingarm and the fuel injection. The rest is different paint schemes, different fairing stay, the exhaust is a different shape etc. All that adds up to the sp2 being a couple of pounds lighter and makes a couple more horse power at the top of the rev range. As I've told other people before if you knew nothing about the 51 and rode an SP1 & SP2 back to back you would not be able to tell the difference.
Thanks.. All seems to be well with the bike.
The only other question that i have is about bringing the front end off the ground. These bike are known for there torque. It feels like it is set up for drag. I say that because when i take off it does not want to wheelie. I am 200lbs but i would think it would come up pretty easy. Just a thought, maybe i should loose a couple teeth in the front and add a few to the rear....(I like the front end to float)

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
If it's got stock gearing, then it's way too tall.
Most street RC51's have some combination equal to 15T front and 41-42T rear.
That let's the bike reach into it's power band better.
With that gearing ratio, you'll bring the front wheel off the ground under power.

·
Registered
863 Posts
yeah 15/42 is where its at. On Saturday my buddy was riding my 51 and was lifting it up easy just rolling the throttle in 2nd gear. I'm not big on wheelies but I gave my buddy the ok to do it. Kind looks cool watching your bike up on one. But after a couple I told him no more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Also the wheels are diffrent on the sp1 to sp2.The sp1 wheels,the spokes are angled,the sp2 are not,also the colour of the fork stantion are diffrent,the sp1 are darker colour,mind u this is only on european specs,dont know much about USA specs;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree the 15/42 combo works great,

sp1 vs sp2....this is what i know for sure, with the aussie sp2,s

* bigger throttle bodies/ differant injector set up
* swingarm
* wheels...5 vs 6 spoke
* rear caliper bracket
* inside frame [near top of airbox] extra bracing
* headers run a D style port
* swingarm bolt [therfore hole in cases is smaller:sp2]
* top fairing stay [alloy vs steel]
* top nut and shaft on tripple clamps [sp2 larger]
* rear shock [ angle of gas resi ]
* front fork internals
* discs 5mm vs 6mm
aussie sp1,s,and sp2,s, have no pair system or soft rev limiter either there are cosmetic changes aswell colour,fork colour,centre of disc colour between models too! .......hope this helps.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.