RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting packages in the mail...that means my parts are finally arriving! Like Christmas everyday! Anyway, I am about to install all new gaskets, but partzilla doesn't show a gasket for the right cover. When I removed it there was no gasket just some silicone. What are you guys using to seal up the non-gasketed surfaces? Would autopart store, black rtv (oil and water) silicone work?
Canty

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Which right cover are you referring to?
If it's the clutch cover, it uses an o-ring type gasket.
For covers that don't use gaskets, a thin layer of 3bond or Yama bond will work fine.
Just make sure to apply in a thin layer to prevent globs of it from attaching to the surface on the interior side that can break off and get suckered into the oil pump, and then into the oil galleries.
That can prevent oil flow and destroy the engine.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I saw the word magnesium on the cover. What do we do, or is there anything we can do once that gold color rubs off? Is it something we should worry about? I am pretty sure the metal underneath it is aluminum so rust shouldn't be a concern. Its just something I noticed while I am trying to solve this water/oil mixing issue and became curious about the gold color.
Thanks Sub
Canty

BTW, I have spent lots of time down in Florida, and I think Sarasota is on top of my list for places I would return to. Its a great place, and the gulf is so nice there.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Do not use silicone inside the engine. It comes off settles in the bottom of the oil pan then gets sucked up into the oil pump screen which can starve the top end for oil.

The cover is magnesium and will corrode quickly if left as bare metal. That being said it can easily be polished

or transparent pigmented clearcoated

or powdercoated

or replaced with aftermarket

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do not use silicone inside the engine. It comes off settles in the bottom of the oil pan then gets sucked up into the oil pump screen which can starve the top end for oil.
What's wrong with silicone? I've used Permatex silicone on a couple engines with no problems; one of those was a track motor too. I would think the problem for any kind of sealant is applying the right amount; too much of any kind of sealant could clog oil passages.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You are correct to some degree about using the proper amount, but that is a very difficult thing to judge blindly. Ultimately silicone is not really suitable for use inside an engine. Specially formulated liquid gasket products don't shear off when they have excess product squished out between the mating surfaces. They simply remain intact.

When silicone based products do shear off they collect in the bottom of the oil pan and get caught in the oil pump

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
well in that case i think i will stop by their shop in the soon to be future and put some pressure on them so make some:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts