RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come up with a extra set of front and rear rims. Now I can buy a set of tires just for track use and was wondering what other people have found to work best for them on the track. I'm just doing track days no racing and was looking for some feedback of what other people are using.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you ride Barber or any other tracks in the southeast I would mount rain tires on them.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Serious track day enthusiasts turning race pace or close to it will benefit from DOT race tires and of course tire warmers.

If you are just doing this for recreation and fun then you cannot go wrong with the Michelin Pilot Powers. They heat up very quickly (with no need for tire warmers, slide predictably with probably the best front tire in the business for learning to feel what the front is doing and they can go from dry to wet back to dry with no changes at all plus they pretty much last until the cords are showing. Meaning that heat cycling is simply not a problem for them. They are also relatively cheap and I would suggest buying the original version instead of the 2CT model. They are cheaper and I turn the exact same lap times on the original version as I do on the 2CT's, but I get more life out of them...

They are also easily good enough for 1:42's at Barber with zero drama and even 1:04's at TGP on a cold cloudy day

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm definitely not on race pace so I don't need race tires and tire warmers and I'm not riding on the track in the rain again so I don't need rain tires. From your reply I'm definitely going with the Michelins thanks. Now the only thing I need to do is get my suspension sprung right and wait for spring

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have run the regular Pilot Powers for the last few years. Novice to Mid I pace, no issues. Good wear, temp rarely a concern, and enough confidence to run in light rain. My last day at Barber was not so fun because of rain that lasted all day. I was running Dunlop Q2's on my CBR 1000 and was wishing I had a set of rains, or at least the Pilot Powers that clear water better because they are grooved to the edge. All that being said, I may go with the Q2 for my next set on the 51. I really liked them in the dry at Tally. I don't think you can go wrong with the Pilot Powers. I have had good service from them. Looking to try a 190/55 rear next time in whatever tire I buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts