RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get some new tires for my new to me RC and am curious what tires you folks are running for street and if you like them or not on the RC?

This will be a dry weather weekend bike for me, it won't get a lot of miles put on it yearly so I'm not as concerned with mileage.

Any recommendations what to get or stay away from? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi From Australia. The very best tyres on the market are the ones that inspire in you, a confidence in the bike.

For me, I run Pirelli Diablo III (3). I ride quite hard in the mountains and they warm up quickly, give great feel and edge grip and I get about 8K out of them during the summer months running 34 psi. But as I say this is fairly hard summer riding.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Huge fan of Dumlop Q3 or Q3+. Halfway thru switching all my bikes over to Q3+ from Q3 when the tires need changed.

Reactions: OldsCool

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was also looking into picking up the Q3+ as well but went with the Michelin Road 5's instead (Other riders in the group swear I won't be disappointed). I don't track my RC and initial impressions is the Road 5's have plenty of dry grip (especially for the corners) and I'm amazed the amount of traction on wet roads!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was also looking into picking up the Q3+ as well but went with the Michelin Road 5's instead (Other riders in the group swear I won't be disappointed). I don't track my RC and initial impressions is the Road 5's have plenty of dry grip (especially for the corners) and I'm amazed the amount of traction on wet roads!
Great tire in rain agreed, I'm running them on my Viffer that I ride year round rain or shine and love them!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I run S22's on mine, and have tried Q3's as well. The S22's get the nod because they work way better when they are cold, and warm up much quicker. They are also a bit cheaper, or at least were last time I checked, and they last longer.

The Q3+'s do have an almost perfectly round profile and are the best "feel" of any street tire, from edge to edge (that I have tried). They are so perfect, until they get squared off, and they have a tiny edge on ultimate grip over the S22's but that would be splitting hairs. I have ridden both tires at the track and both are great. Have not tried Q4's, but I'm sure they are even better, hence the price....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put S22's on mine, haven't really pushed them hard since I'm still learning the bike, but happy so far. My other street bike and track bike run Pirelli

·
Registered
14 Posts
I currently have the Michelin Power GPs on mine. The first few rides through the hills of Kentucky were greasy as hell. I have about 250 miles on them now and they warm quickly and I dont have the grease problem anymore. They warm a lot faster and are stickier than the Metzeler Sportec M5s I had previously(Ambient temp 85-98* F/ Road Temp between 110-150* F). I dont ride in the rain but so far I like em for weekend trips. I put maybe 6k miles on the Sportecs in 10 years riding 10-12 times a year so I wont get the same life out of the GPs I did out of the M5s.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Old School original Pilot Power Tires and no I am not kidding. Not even the 2CT version just the original style. 190/55 & 120/70 They are cheap, warm up super quick, work in both wet & dry conditions with zero pressure changes and can be used for both street and track use up to lower end A-Group. They simply do everything that a street tire is supposed to do.

Don't miscontrue there are street tires out there better suited for track use like the Q3+ & Q4 combo I run when instructing nowadays or the Pilot Roads if you are street riding/touring in wet conditions, but overall the Pilot Power series of tires was way ahead of their time back when they came out 20 years ago and are still formidable now at a great price point.

·
Premium Member
2004 Honda RC-51 Nicky Haden Edition.
22 Posts
Old School original Pilot Power Tires and no I am not kidding. Not even the 2CT version just the original style. 190/55 & 120/70 They are cheap, warm up super quick, work in both wet & dry conditions with zero pressure changes and can be used for both street and track use up to lower end A-Group. They simply do everything that a street tire is supposed to do.

Don't miscontrue there are street tires out there better suited for track use like the Q3+ & Q4 combo I run when instructing nowadays or the Pilot Roads if you are street riding/touring in wet conditions, but overall the Pilot Power series of tires was way ahead of their time back when they came out 20 years ago and are still formidable now at a great price point.
Just picked up my 04 from Florida, bike has Pilot Power tires, Im sure there is a date on them. They could be 18 years old, lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is a small oval stamp with 4 numeric digits. IIRC the first 2 digits are the week of the year and the last 2 are the year they were manufactured. Mine are 3519 and 0220 on my Power GPs. Reference Pic.....

·
Registered
213 Posts

I was going to say the exact thing, finally a reply that I completely agree with.
Although I did just go to the 2CT and do actually like the edge grip, however the middle is very slippery.
Which really doesn't matter, as long as I get good mileage out of tem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got my RC back home today! She's all serviced up, new chain n sprockets, fresh set of powder coated wheels and new rubber. Decided to try out a set of the Dunlop Q4, have heard great things about the quick warmup and grip but that they don't last long for mileage, sounds perfect for my RC as it will just be an occasional weekend bike.

·
Registered
2001 RC51, 2018 Aprilia Tuono
13 Posts
Decided to try out a set of the Dunlop Q4, have heard great things about the quick warmup and grip but that they don't last long for mileage
Curious how you get on with them, as I think I'll be using these for a trackday bike I'm building. Right now it's a tossup between these and a set of the Pirelli Supercorsa TD's, but they only come in 200/55...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts