RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has offered to trade me their 2002 rc51 with 27k miles for my 1999 Ducati 748. Is there anything with the rc51 I should be on the lookout for?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Quite simply, whether it was cared for is the the biggest item.
These are solidly reliable bikes, if cared for.
If it looks like it's been run ragged or not maintained, pass it by.

27K miles is nothing to these bike. Not even close to the second valve clearance check.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
That would be a nice trade too...Change the oil, check the tire pressures, the RC is good to go for the most part. I'd say the most common item I see is fuel pressure regulator. Thats mostly cause a bike sits and the nasty acidic fuel has time to eat at the rubber seals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah im thinking its going to be a good trade. I have always liked the rc51...so hopefully everything goes smoothly...currently waiting for him to show up at designated meeting spot...

·
Registered
575 Posts
one is fork seals if the bike has been sitting a long time they could be dry and later leak --- next is anti freeze in the radiator make sure it dose not weep out of the down tube , that means building the water pump , make sure it starts easy when the motor is cold to the hand , if it is warm before you got there , he is hiding something , look at the chain make sure it is in good shape ,

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yeah im thinking its going to be a good trade. I have always liked the rc51...so hopefully everything goes smoothly...currently waiting for him to show up at designated meeting spot...
thats good then you can make sure nothing is leaking let the bike sit and look under it , and take your finger and run it down the fork tube must be dry , . good luck , the RC51 is a great bike and so fun to ride ,

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can attest to the valve clearance. I just had my first valve adjustment at 25k+ miles and he said two were off by a tiny margin and otherwise the motor looked really clean. Check how the wiring under the tail looks, mine had some electrical issues.

·
Registered
142 Posts
These guys are on the money. Check to make sure it doesnt have some electrical tape covering a hole in the swingarm under the exhaust cans. Don't sweat the valves. They're super easy to check and the shims are quite easy to replace. I just did mine it was easy. Bring a cross-tip and check the damn brake fluid. Make sure it doesn't have acorns in between the cylinder banks. If it has a 'hotbodies' on it, checking the rear subframe are is a must. Most people monkey up the ass end and the electrical components are just bouncing around back there. If that happens there will be money missing out of your drawer and your daughters knocked up. Seen it a hundred times...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts