RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got the 03 RC and am looking to do oil change this weekend. This will be my first oil change on this bike, its got 8k, is there anything specific I need to know in terms of changing oil, I used to have an R1 prior to the RC. Also, what type of oil filter are you guys using? I used to use Fram from Walmart on my R1 with no issues.
Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use the Honda 10w-40 syntetic and if you have use the Fram filter with no problems go with that but I use the K&N or OEM

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hear is a little info that I got from the guy that sets up my suspension . He told me that what people dont know is if you use the Honda OEM oil filter you are under a 30 day warrenty no matter what. I have alway just used OEM any how.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do yourself a favor and open up a fram filter, you'll never use one again (it's just cardboard that has been glued together). Other GOOD filters should have an anti-drainback valve, sealed metal ends and a good looking element (and they don't cost that much more). Sure I've seen people have 'luck' with these cheap filters and 'no problems,' you also hear about these people who have had Fram filters literally fall apart from the inside, block oil flow and spin bearings. Cheap filters just aren't worth it to me. On my aircooled engines I don't run oil filters (only an oil strainer before the oil pump) and I've been fine so far, I tell you that because when you say "I haven't had a problem with Fram," I feel as if I'm in a similar boat. The only difference really is I understand my liability, but most Fram owners just don't realize what they're using. Never taken apart a 'Fram Racing' but I heard the quality is better, I'd rather not waste my money to find out though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
FRAM oil filter

Do yourself a favor and open up a fram filter, you'll never use one again (it's just cardboard that has been glued together). Other GOOD filters should have an anti-drainback valve, sealed metal ends and a good looking element (and they don't cost that much more). Sure I've seen people have 'luck' with these cheap filters and 'no problems,' you also hear about these people who have had Fram filters literally fall apart from the inside, block oil flow and spin bearings. Cheap filters just aren't worth it to me. On my aircooled engines I don't run oil filters (only an oil strainer before the oil pump) and I've been fine so far, I tell you that because when you say "I haven't had a problem with Fram," I feel as if I'm in a similar boat. The only difference really is I understand my liability, but most Fram owners just don't realize what they're using. Never taken apart a 'Fram Racing' but I heard the quality is better, I'd rather not waste my money to find out though.
Hello Amigo:

Can you tell me if that is applicable to this kind of filter? I've changed the oil and filter yesterday but didn't know about quality problems with this brand.

Thanks¡¡

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Oil And Filter Choice

After seeing research and graphic cutaways of various filters, I have gone with Bosch Super Premiums for both my VFR and RC51 in combination with Amsoil 10w-40. The oil was chosen based on lab test in Motorcycle Consumer News on various types of oils for cars and motorcycles. The oil filters were covered in VFR Garage.com. The basis for oil filter decision was micron filtration efficency. The multimedia filter types were always superior. These filters are made with cellulose and paper. Walmart has them for $3. Mobil One, Napa, Purolator, Champion, and Wix also make them. I use one specified for a Mazda MX3 V6 #3323. Have used them for 6 years with zero problems. I usually pay about $5 each for the Bosch filter at Autozone.

See://VFRworld.com/tex vfr/tech/oilfilter.htm

Hope this adds some information that useful.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Shell Rotella-T Synthetic 5w-40 with Mobil One M1-110 filter
Since the M1-110 apparently works the NAPA 1357 (and I think 1356) should also work. I gave it a try as already had these for another engine. It is about an inch longer than oem but everything else appears compatible and no problems so far.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Switched from Honda dino 10-40 @ 4K miles to Mobile 1 4T full syn with Honda OEM filter (black cannister). Have noticed much smoother shifting.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I like Purolator Pure One PL14610 cheap and but not made cheap.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

IIRC the cycle filter is a ML14610 and I use it on my bike. Pretty cheap on line, and less than half the cost of OEM.

I started using Repsol 10-40 oil but it was like $50 a jug. Heard good stuff about the Shell Rotella 5w-40 synthetic. Tried it for $19 a jug and my bike likes it way more than the Repsol. Bike oil changes now cost less than my truck, which I really like.

·
Registered
142 Posts
oem filters only, amsoil full synthetic

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Due to the high heat these RC's put out, I would use Synthetic. My preference is Castrol. As far as the oil filter anything BUT Fram!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use Repsol 10 W 40 full synthetic race oil 4t and a hi flo filtro filter. I have tried differant brands and have been realy happy with the 2

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Pretty comprehensive article Ick. Thanks for that link.
Being new to RC's, I just went to the dealership and got the blue stock filter and the honda 10-40 4 stroke oil. But next change I'll try the purolator pure one or the Mobil M1 and Amsoil synthetic.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts