RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions ...

I wanted to eliminate the decel-to-accel herky jerkyness ... All 3 maps I've tried have done that, but while smoothing out that part I feel like I've lost some accel pop. I know I could get it dyno'd - wonder if I'd get some pop back. Maybe I can't have both pop and smoothness. It's not slow IMO by any means, but just lacks the blast it had with no PC in it.

Just wondering what your goals were when you got your PC? And did it accomplish them?

Did you get yours dyno'd?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am considering one for future, but mainly its just to get rid of the snatchy throttle on the bike at low speed stuff, and maybe get it running nice on the Carbon cans i'm planning on buying (that is if i dont spunk the cash on a dirt bike first lol)

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Well it gets rid of the undesirable 'snatchy' ... but also gets rid of some of the desirable thrust :eek:

On mine anyway. Mine has not been dyno tuned, though. Maybe that would improve it.
I guarantee it will if the right tuner gets a hold of it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Took my bike for it's maiden voyage this morning. Roughly a 20 mile ride to work. Anyway, I noticed that right around 3,000 rpm that the bike surges, cuts out, and basically jerks around. I give it a little less gas and it seems to do better, and more throttle works fine. It is just that area of the RPM range. Is this what everyone talks about their Power Commander fixing? if it is, I'm ordering one as soon as money will let me.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike - Mine didn't cut out. Instead, the transition from off-throttle to on-throttle was very jerky - probably sounded to an observer like a guy who doesn't know how to ride, over- and under-using the throttle. And it wasn't possible to maintain a steady speed - the engine wanted to either go or not go. But it never lost power, not even briefly. Maybe yours is just more extreme than mine.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mike - Mine didn't cut out. Instead, the transition from off-throttle to on-throttle was very jerky - probably sounded to an observer like a guy who doesn't know how to ride, over- and under-using the throttle. And it wasn't possible to maintain a steady speed - the engine wanted to either go or not go. But it never lost power, not even briefly. Maybe yours is just more extreme than mine.
Well I don't know if cut out would be the right word, but the bike acted like it was jerky. Only at that RPM though. Like the bike didn't know if it should give the engine gas, or idle.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I don't know if cut out would be the right word, but the bike acted like it was jerky. Only at that RPM though. Like the bike didn't know if it should give the engine gas, or idle.
OK, ours are prob about the same then, since mine matched your description above ... although I think mine acted like that over an RPM range of maybe 2500 - 4500.

To wingnutt ... so, this is where the mod craziness begins I guess ... mine hasn't had the flapper mod done, or any of the other mods either (can't remember them all now), and if I was gonna bother spending the $ to get the bike tuned, I'd prob want to do all those mods first, chicken-egg-chicken-egg ...

... oh and this is the first I've heard of "accelerator pump utility" ... ??

BTW, this bike, like my old CBR900RR's, amazes me now (maybe I'm easily amazed*) ... although it amazed me more before the PC install :)

* not a Paul McCartney song

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Accelerator Pump For All PCIII USB Units -
New Accelerator Pump feature for all
Power Commander III USB units
Installation Instructions
Dynojet Research 2191 Mendenhall Drive North Las Vegas, NV 89031 (800) 992-4993 www.powercommander.com
Dynojet is pleased to announce a new
“Accelerator Pump” feature for all USB
Power Commanders. This is a FREE
upgrade that can be installed into any
USB Power Commander.
Step 1 - Download the Accelerator
Pump utility file from
www.powercommander.com.
Step 2 - Connect to the Power
Commander and run the utility
Step 3 - Experiment with the settings to
match your riding style.
You can adjust:
A) The amount of fuel to add
B) The number of engine revolutions
during which fuel is added
C) The sensitivity of throttle move-
ment under which the accelera-
tor pump is activated

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Took my bike for it's maiden voyage this morning. Roughly a 20 mile ride to work. Anyway, I noticed that right around 3,000 rpm that the bike surges, cuts out, and basically jerks around. I give it a little less gas and it seems to do better, and more throttle works fine. It is just that area of the RPM range. Is this what everyone talks about their Power Commander fixing? if it is, I'm ordering one as soon as money will let me.

3000rpm on an RC51 is basically lugging the engine. There is really no reason to ever hover in that rpm range.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts