RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive done search and found the one thread, but its when jondog was looking for graphic ideas for his.

Right now I running a ICON Domain 2. IMO, its a good helmet for a sport touring riders, the shell comes really low on the back of my neck, when I tuck it rubs on my back and very unstable over HWY speeds. Other then that, its held up over the past 18mos okay'ish, it has a lot of miles in the rain and even more in the dry and some even in the cold and rain, about 13,000miles. The vents are coming off, really noisy and the air flow is next to none now. Last year I was happy with it but just like that dream date...it didnt last.

Wifey has an Airframe and yes Ive rocked the pink helmet for a rip down the HWY and back. A lot better air flow, quieter, it hasnt seen no where near the same amount of use but its still holding up like new.

Now Im looking to get a new helmet this year, so far Ive had my eye on the new Bell Star Matte Carbon or ICON Airframe Carbon Lifeform.

So far Ive only had the chance to talk to someone who runs a Star. He is overly happy with it.

Im really not looking to make $500/$700 mistake. Does anyone ride with one of these? What ya think? Hows the thing holding up?

-or-

What you riding with? Your $.02 please

Thanks,
James

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
i have a few AGV's, Suomy's, KBC, and Arai. The Suomy spec 1r has been my favorite. Great fit. A lot of this is going to depend on your head shape. What may fit me the best and feel great may not be the same for you. Try a few on before you make a buy.

3 other companies you may want to look at are Shark, OGK, or Nolan. One of those will be my next.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
The bell looks nice. I've never been a fan of Icon gear at all. Too cartoony for my tastes.

For the amount of money both those cost, I would go with a top shelf helmet like Arai or Shoei. I've had both, and will never ride with anything else except possibly scorpion. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of them for the price. What really matters is how well it fits your head.

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
I love my Arai...will not wear any other helmet. Most comfy for extended periods.

http://www.compacc.com/Helmets

Best prices on helmets I've ever come across...free shipping and I got a top line Arai CorsairV $449.00 here in Canada $1000 no shit that's what they're asking.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I understand that all helmet dont fit alike.
Both the ICONs fit me well that why I looked to get another one. But Im looking for more of a "top shelf" this time. Ive watched all the video reviews that Brian (STG) has put out for the premium helmets. The C/F Star is already above my range of up to $600, but i dont like the look of flat or gloss black ones. I can afford more but just not wanting to, more $$$ helmet= less $$$ for the bike.

I was also looking at the RSR2 and the X12 but once again not really feeling the color schemes.

And the part that really sucks, there is no one with in a hour drive that has top shelf helmet in stock.

One last thing, I started this for everyone with all level helmets to post there opinion of the helmets they have used. And for that info to be used as shopping guidance for all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Had stack of HJC's found them to be Noisey and heavy. Last three have been Shoies LOVE them. Borrowed a few Icon's Hated every one of them noise,buffeting and at 130kph felt like was gonna be sucked off my head. Tried couple of Arai's now and kinda thinking I may add one to my helmet collection.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah around 70ish. I've felt it on several helmets but the Icon's were the worst. I screwed up my neck/back in a car accident years ago, so now I look for the lightest helmet possible with little to no buffeting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have an agv gp tech right now and it is awesome.. wind noise is minimal, its light and fits great. the padding is super comfy too. i have had an icon before and the agv is a different fit but 100 times more comfy both weight and padding. your best bet is to go to a store and try on a couple that fit your head then look up ride reviews

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The two faves in my helmet collection right now are my Shark RSR2 and HJC RPS10. Both are very lightweight and offer solid wind noise protection (I always wear a set of earplugs too though). Purchased both for under $300 IIRC. Also have a couple of Arais too, but love these other two a little more...

YMMV, make sure whatever new lid you wind up with fits your head properly and meets YOUR individual needs...g'luck !

·
Registered
606 Posts
I ride w/ a Scorpion now and love it....my next will be an Arai now that I found one that really fits my head well. Have had Shoei over the years and have no negatives to say.

Just make sure you find a dealer that has someone that knows how a helmet should fit !! Not just a kid that thinks this lid looks cool....and there are my .02 centavos

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had an Arai Quantom F back in the early 2000's and it was a very nice helmet, except for how the cheek pads mount and how the shield comes on and off, it's all a bit flimsy in my opinion. I then went to a Shoei RF1000 and the two issues that I mentioned for the ARAI went away. It was a very comfortable helmet but I found it to be a little too loose fitting for track days and high speeds.

I now have the SHOEI X11 and absolutely love it! It really hugs my head without feeling too tight or causing discomfort. The only problem I have with it is an occasional wind whistle from the visor. I've tried repositioning the visor to no avail. The X12's ahve been out for a couple of years but I think you can still get a X11 and they're much cheaper.

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
I noticed your in Courtney on the Island...I see your dilemma with having to drive quite a ways to find a dealer of helmets and such.

I know with Arai helmets if you find a helmet that fits right...they will ALWAYS fit right.

Been wearing them for almost 20 years.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I have a couple AGV K3's for my budget helmet and they have a GP kind of cut. They also seem to look smaller overall but fit just right. Airflow is great, noise control is slightly above average.

I also second the Suomy Spec 1R and the AGV GP. Honestly I have tried on Arai and Shoei and the AGV and Suomy just fit me better. One that I haven't but want to try is a corsair V...

I say find a place with a good selection and try em on without looking at any prices and then rate them according to fit...then you will know exactly how much you need to spend;)

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
you guys have more than 1 helmet................

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Yep, mainly so I can rotate my daily driver helmets out. No one likes a stinky helmet:D

Plus, I can't sow up to Starbucks in a plain jane helmet!

Oh, and I'm a helmet pack rat, they make cool deco once they have served their purpose.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
yeah, 2 Rossi reps, Biaggi, Toseland, Hayden, and a Doohan

1 - 20 of 54 Posts