RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
That is honestly a question of preference and varies based on conditions.

For the track I start with a cold tire pressure of about 29f 27r (depending on track temperature and tire) For the street I was closer to 35/35.

Each tire handles a little differently too...so you have to adjust based on brand too.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Look at your manual or the sticker on the side of the bike.

Its a feel thing, if you ride fast, you may not want to inflate to OEM specifications. If you ride like you own a '04, then by all means, use the OEM settings.:eek::D

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Look at your manual or the sticker on the side of the bike.

Its a feel thing, if you ride fast, you may not want to inflate to OEM specifications. If you ride like you own a Slow 03, then by all means, use the OEM settings.:eek::D

Fixed it for you!

Careful with OEM specs as those are "max" inflation numbers (and two up I believe) and give you zero flex on the tire.

I would stay mid 30's for road riding 32-35)...but again it is a matter of preference.

From what I've recently been told (no research yet)...Michelin and Pirelli's run a softer compound. Bridgestone and Dunlop run a harder compound. Not sure how that translates into direct numbers...but basically I assume 30psi would effect each brand slightly differently.

Trial and error...and remember to use cold pressures.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Dunlop D212 31 front 15 rear cold

Crazy...had no clue that some tires go so low in the rear. Just looked it up on their site though...and recommended cold tire is 1bar (approximately 15psi).

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Hondad knows his shit!

Yes he does. Learning stuff everyday. Haven't dived too deep into the tire research as I'm still trying to learn suspension...but this was a very helpful hip pocket class.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
I'm right there with you.

But lately I'm with Rock on my reading.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

What was really interesting was that the above Dunlop tire is the only one to provide a recommended tire pressure setting (on the website as far as I can see).

Read another article stating Dunlop recommends 32F 30R on their Q3 for light track use.
http://m.motorcycle-usa.com/545/16290/Motorcycle-Article/Dunlop-Sportmax-Q3-Motorcycle-Tire-Review.aspx

I'm going to try 30F, 28R on 23 May.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Dunlop race tires have some really low recommended pressures compared to other brand race tires I'm more familiar with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts