RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2013 600RR that I am going to part out with a beautiful set of wheels on her. Anyone know offhand if these are compatible with the RC? Even if it would require a little modification I think they would look way better on my bike! :)

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
the rear may be a direct fit although it would probably be 1 size narower in width hence only fit 180 wide tire. Front is possibly a different size axle though. Have to check that. the RC front is an odd 22mm ID bearing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the rear may be a direct fit although it would probably be 1 size narower in width hence only fit 180 wide tire. Front is possibly a different size axle though. Have to check that. the RC front is an odd 22mm ID bearing.
I already ride a 180 rear (which I love btw) so that is not an issue. If the front axle is a different size is that a deal breaker? Could it be modified?

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Nothing is completely impossible....its really a matter of the brake discs being the correct offset and having the right spacers between the wheel and fork bottoms....and the correct bearings needed to fit the axle.
You will need to measure, a lot, and evaluate the variables...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha! Well, I guess I have my work cut out for me. Ill post my findings after I do some playing around. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I recently fitted an rc51 wheel to a 600rr.

the 600rr wheel is approx 10mm narrower at the hub. so you'll have to space the rotors out approx 5mm each. or space your calipers in approx 5mm each.

the 600rr wheel uses a 20mm axle, so you'll have to swap bearings as well. then make custom spacers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently fitted an rc51 wheel to a 600rr.

the 600rr wheel is approx 10mm narrower at the hub. so you'll have to space the rotors out approx 5mm each. or space your calipers in approx 5mm each.

the 600rr wheel uses a 20mm axle, so you'll have to swap bearings as well. then make custom spacers
Great information. Thanks! Any advantage to spacing the rotors out as opposed to the calipers or vice-versa I guess it wouldn't really make a difference would it?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
the shear force on the rotor bolts would be greater than on the caliper bolts. i'd be prone to spacing the calipers in personally. but it shouldn't make too much difference.

at 5ish mm spacing, you'll want to get 5mm longer bolts, you don't want to give up 5mm of thread engagement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the shear force on the rotor bolts would be greater than on the caliper bolts. i'd be prone to spacing the calipers in personally. but it shouldn't make too much difference.

at 5ish mm spacing, you'll want to get 5mm longer bolts, you don't want to give up 5mm of thread engagement.
Good advise, both of those points are very solid. You wouldn't think 5mm is a lot until you think of it in terms of a bolt, then it becomes pretty substantial!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I usually prefer to space the calipers on my custom stuff. The calipers already hang of the forks anyway so its just a matter of them being 5mm closer.
Bearing wise you will need a 22x42x12 bearing and two 22mm id 5mm spacers.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
the sleeve sits inside the hub between the inner bearing races. when your torque up the axle you are compressing the axle against the spacers, bearing races and sleeve. without the sleeve you'd side load the bearings and destroy them. the sleeve ID is the same as the bearing ID. the 600 sleeve will be too small for the axle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the sleeve sits inside the hub between the inner bearing races. when your torque up the axle you are compressing the axle against the spacers, bearing races and sleeve. without the sleeve you'd side load the bearings and destroy them. the sleeve ID is the same as the bearing ID. the 600 sleeve will be too small for the axle
Is there any recommendations on where to purchase the sleeves, bearings and spacers or is this material I need to have fabricated?

Also thanks again for all the info. Obviously this is my first go round with a swap like this and all the feedback is very helpful from you guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts