RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen two different clutches for the RC, the Barnett and the Durbaha hyperplates clutches. My question is, which is better and why.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Durbahn hyper plates. Barnett plates are not light weight aluminum, thus the improved performance is only that the clutch grabs better, wears better the Durbahn plates are aluminum and lighter thus less rotating mass which in turns means more power or faster spin up of the motor. Now to really determine which is better you should explain your riding style so you can ask the question which one is better for me based on this....

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
The Durbahn sounds pretty cool. The only issue is price.....your shipping from Germany too. Sounds like stock is mostly gone, may not even carry them for the RC51 anymore.
Also, if you plan on upgrading to a slipper clutch.....the plates need to be constantly checked and monitored.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Durbahn hyper plates. Barnett plates are not light weight aluminum, thus the improved performance is only that the clutch grabs better, wears better the Durbahn plates are aluminum and lighter thus less rotating mass which in turns means more power or faster spin up of the motor. Now to really determine which is better you should explain your riding style so you can ask the question which one is better for me based on this....
Is there a difference when you decelerate? Seems like the heavier plates would help brake the engine a little especially coming into a turn. Little less braking? I'm kinda basing that on my experience with that in a '02 Mustang. I could feel the difference. Maybe bikes are different?

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
cbrbear, which slipper are your running? yoyodyne or JTR? Any issues or complaints about it? are you using with stock plates?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Hyperplates are no longer produced.
They were hard anodized aluminum drive plates that replaced the OEM steel drive plates.
I bought a set just before they ceased production.

They are substantially lighter than the OEM steel plates.
The Hyperplates weigh 215 gm while the OEM steel plates weigh 590 gm.
I could tell an immediate improvement with shifting (up or down) due to less rotating mass.

You can't use them with slipper clutches as the heat from the slippage can wear the hard anodizing layer away and they will start wearing quickly.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
...The Hyperplates weigh 215 gm while the OEM steel plates weigh 590 gm.
I could tell an immediate improvement with shifting (up or down) due to less rotating mass...QUOTE]

That's the info I was looking for when I asked earlier about shifting characteristics.
Always interested in peoples input about the different aftermarket clutches and how they work for the way you ride. Mine's still fairly healthy, but not to long before I'll be buying a clutch set so I'm reading up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts