RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for the company that makes a undertail without lights. I've seen it somewhere recently but I cannot find it again it was pictured in red with a hrc sticker on it and I think silver also. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Get a sheet of lexan, plastic, whatever you want and make your own. Just lay your tail down on a piece of cardboard and trace the inside of the opening onto it. Then add a 1/8 to 1/4 inch around the edge and cut that out. Trace it onto the plastic and there you go.

It is easy and will only cost you time and about $20. Thats what I did:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks b.miller, That was the one I was trying to find I emailed him and have yet to hear anything. I'll probably go the rout of making my own. I like the look of yours did you also make a battery box ? I plan on making a detachable unit for my tail lights.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
The stock fender was still in place, well what is left of it was. So no need to make a battery box. Since mine is an SP2, te ECU had to be moved to get the bottom completely flat though.

The light on mine was a 04-07 cbr1000 tail light with the lense removed. It was placed behind the tinted lexan:

It was plenty visible, but if I did it over I would use clear lexan and paint the lower part that way the light has nothing blocking it. I noticed on really sunny days it was a little difficult to see.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hey B Miller ...love that undertail....can you help me do my bike that way ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a pretty neat way of doing tail lights are they still bright enough to be seen in daylight ? Have you ever had any trouble with the police not thinking there so neat ?

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I bought the tinted lexan at home depot (it might have been acrylic, not too sure). Buy a big sheet, as it does tend to crack pretty easy. I used a dremel to cut it, but a jigsaw would be much easier.

Raleigh, I wouldn't mind helping but I just accepted a new job in Seattle and I'm starting in less than a month. I probably won't have much time the next few weekends as I prepare for the move.

The lights were visible, but I think clear would be a better option. I was going to redo it with a clear piece and paint the inside below the light black. Cops were never a problem with it, although I am a pretty tame rider on the street and cops in TX really don't care about things like that. In Washington state they were a little more picky, so who knows.

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Great job...really like the looks of it! I know you can buy an aftermarket rear light for those CBR's that also have integrated blinkers. How did you secure the piece of Lexan?

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Moving to Seattle will definitely cut down on the length of your riding season
Yeah, but the 55% raise makes it easier to swallow. I'm from the area, so I'm no stranger to riding in the rain. Makes you a much better/smoother rider.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Great job...really like the looks of it! I know you can buy an aftermarket rear light for those CBR's that also have integrated blinkers. How did you secure the piece of Lexan?
I was going to pick up one of those before I street fightered the bike.

The lexan is just a bit bigger than the opening, so it doesn't fall through. I used the stock holes on either side of the bottom of the tail. I used dzus fasteners, but anything would work. The very back of the lexan can be pushed into the tail a little, but it never really bothered me. I suppose you could put some double stick tape in between the two.

I did eventually cut a hole and stick a CBR tail light trough the lexan, but it didn't turn out a well as I would have liked. The CBR light needs to be more angled up than our tail, so it was pretty difficult to get it aimed right. If I did it again, I'd keep it on the inside, looks better that way anyways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts