RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the boat I'm going to look at tomorrow. http://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/3772782732.html it's a fixer upper.

I've researched the motor and found out the motor itself, tends to be a good motor. "The hull has a couple soft spots" stated by the owner. Trailer in good shape.

What else should I look for?

I'm going to bring some starting fluid and a few tools to look it over really well. I'm going to try to get it at least to "pop" over.

Thanks,
James

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
What's you budget? My brother had a fabuglas and hated it. (Mostly the Johnson motor!)

Procrafts are a good boat to look for too.(Which are built or at one time built by the same people who built the Nitro boats.)

You want a fish and ski style it looks like too.

Just remember the best two days of a boat owners life are the first day they buy the boat and the day they sell it!:D

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
Just remember the best two days of a boat owners life are the first day they buy the boat and the day they sell it!:D
Words to live by...I worked with a couple of boat guys, they told me the acronym for boat.

B break
O out
A another
T thousand

I remember when my ex wife was bitching about the money spent on my motorcycles...I introduced her to the said boat guys and asked them how much they spend a year...she then said she would never bitch about what I spend on bikes again.;):D

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mad,
I've heard that one before. But living living 20 minutes from the intercostal water way here in NC, it's kind of hard not to want one. Not the greatest roads around here to ride. :( The best running "equivalent" for sale right now in this area is going for $4500.

I'm hoping to be able to get this one running and sea worthy for under $500 on top of the purchase price. I'm going to do all the labor myself.

Nobody,
I understand that a boat is a money pit, but isn't our RC's the same? About 5k I've put into the bike in the last 2 years alone. We all know that we can never get back what we put into them, but we do it anyway.

I know what to look for when it comes to an engine, but not a boat. So I'm looking for some insight.

James

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
I apologise James I wasn't tryimg to sway you away from boating...just trying to let you know of the cost. You obviously know what you're getting into.

As for what to look for in a boat I just don't have the knowledge. I do know boat guys but I don't work with them anymore. I can try to hunt them down and ask them if I can track either one of them down.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been through a few boats. Imo, it doesn't look to bad for a low budget rig, yet you gotta consider the money-pit factor. I would definitely look for good compression in all cylinders. Other than that, just consider this: saltwater is a bitch, and she looks to have some age on her.
Just to give you an idea on rough equivalent value, I bought a 14' Mckee with a 48spl Johnson of what looked to be about the same age(late 80's) for 1500 about 7 years ago in VA. It was a decent deal, but the exhaust manifold/riser corroded 2 years later making the power head useless.
Over time, saltwater will always win. I always tell my buddies, "ya gotta pay to play." It could prove to be a worth-while cheap rig for the summer...with a few $$$.

My closing thought: Drive inland and get an old lake boat. It'll be worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Just poking fun, but had to include the classic saying, listed below:

"The happiest day of a boat owner's life is the day they buy the boat and the day they sell it."

:D :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've owned a couple of boats, a Cobalt 190 and a Cobalt 200. That one you're looking at certainly looks like a fixer upper. You get what you pay for but I wouldn't want to be out on that boat. I'd certainly be staying on inland waters with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here's the boat I'm going to look at tomorrow. http://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/3772782732.html it's a fixer upper.

I've researched the motor and found out the motor itself, tends to be a good motor. "The hull has a couple soft spots" stated by the owner. Trailer in good shape.

What else should I look for?

Thanks,
James

I own a couple of boats. And here is my experience. If she has soft spots, I would stay clear. Means water was getting in which in turn means the po didn't give a dam about her and the best case scenario the floor is rotted. Worst, the transom is rotted. That would require a complete rebuild. $$$$

If you so choose still to go ahead, take a screw driver and take a sample of the lower leg oil. Should be golden. If it is frothy or green means water is getting in. Which also means a complete rebuild. I know it's been stated but a compression test is a must. Look at wiring. These are notorious for rotted wiring. Does it have hydraulic tilt and trim. Look for smooth operation and no wining. Also take a volt meter. Not sure if this motor has a charging system, if it does take a reading at idle and WOT. Iboats.com and a manual is our friend. Remember parts of something this old is gonna be hard to get a hold of. Hope this helps. Any other questions fire away.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
don't do it! boat fixer uppers are usually a nightmare. chances are you are the third or fourth person to take on this project and realize its garbage. id bet my life the transom is rotton

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, you guys talked me out of it. The info about what "a soft spot" really is what turned me away from it. I was just thinking that all I had to do was to clean up the spots and then lay some new glass and resin.

And besides all that, I think my RC is a selfish bitch. I'm pretty sure my PC died today and left me stranded about 3hrs before I was to look at the boat.

Thanks to everyone for saving me a "boat" of frustration and money.

James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts