RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's come to my attention, that a few here don't care for the Galfer rotors.
I'm sure many of you have tried them, or know of poeple who have, so I'd like to know - what's the deal with Galfer rotors? What are their shortcomings?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
(back story)
I originally was intending on buying Brake-Tech Axis Cobra stainless rotors back in '08, but they had a manufacturing backlog for some reason.
So I went to plan B and replaced my OEM rotors with Galfer waves.
(end back story)

I have no complaints with my Galfers.
I don't push my brake system to the point of white hot glowing rotors, boiling fluid, steaming pads and melting calipers, so I'm not sure what the complaint is.

One thing to check is that the rotor slots are not in phase on the wheel.
Rotate one rotor until it's slots are out of phase compared to the other.
Otherwise, you'll get a pulsing as the pads may rock slightly across the slots at low speeds.

As my current rotors wear, I probably will replace them with something else just to try.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
My complaint is this. The wave's are talked up pretty high whether it be from Galfer themselves or others. When spending $600 i expect at least a slight increase in feel or at least with the "wave's cutting edge design" less brake fade.....that is definietley not the case. when ridden hard on a track day.....they fade. they fade bad. Which is the complete opposite of what they were designed to do. you could get some Brembo rotors or braketech's for a little more and actually get some better performance out of them. For an everyday, daily rider disc....they are fine and you probably won't notice a difference between them and an OEM rotor.

·
Registered
575 Posts
It's come to my attention, that a few here don't care for the Galfer rotors.
I'm sure many of you have tried them, or know of poeple who have, so I'd like to know - what's the deal with Galfer rotors? What are their shortcomings?
there are different grades of galfer the high end work great as for the low end i would not know ,, this is going to go on for ever , with i hate them i love them stuff , its like saying i hate yamaha i love yamaha or honda is the best ,no kawasaki is the best , you just opened a big can of worms

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. SubSailor, LMAO at the extreme braking you laid out there
I don't push my brake system to the point of white hot glowing rotors, boiling fluid, steaming pads and melting calipers,
:D Me either! Ever! I haven't ever done track days, so I sure haven't seen the extremes that you guys do. I'll push pretty hard, in appropriate situations, but I'll never max this bike the way it could be: at a track.
I use most of it tho, and I love knowing it's there.

My stock rotors were ok before I changed them to the Galfers I have on now, with their brake pads, they were better. Much better. I could tell a big difference. But I ride easier than on any track, so...
That's why I was wondering what specific faults they have.

Sounds like fading was an issue for gts455, what pads were you running?

·
Registered
215 Posts
(back story)
One thing to check is that the rotor slots are not in phase on the wheel.
Rotate one rotor until it's slots are out of phase compared to the other.
Otherwise, you'll get a pulsing as the pads may rock slightly across the slots at low speeds.

As my current rotors wear, I probably will replace them with something else just to try.
I have some Galfers waiting (waiting for summers return) to be installed. Thats good to know Sub I will be sure to install them out of phase. I am going to use a set of brand new factory pads along with the rotors. I had a bad experience with some EBC pads so back to factory pads for me.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Sounds like fading was an issue for gts455, what pads were you running?
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the rotors for daily street use except the price.....for $100 more you can get Braketech Axis Iron Rotors or Brembo HP's.

As for pads, i am using Galfer sintered pads which are coming off the bike as well. They will be replaced with Vesrah or CL.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have some Galfers waiting (waiting for summers return) to be installed. Thats good to know Sub I will be sure to install them out of phase. I am going to use a set of brand new factory pads along with the rotors. I had a bad experience with some EBC pads so back to factory pads for me.
EBC pads now are the worst of them all .... i use only Vesrah pads !!!! i maynot have a lot of money , but i all ways try and get parts that make me go faster stop fast and smooth and handle great , maybe 5% for looks ,, 95% for go , if you read my list of parts you will see its not a show bike but a very good riding bike ,

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the rotors for daily street use except the price.....for $100 more you can get Braketech Axis Iron Rotors or Brembo HP's.

As for pads, i am using Galfer sintered pads which are coming off the bike as well. They will be replaced with Vesrah or CL.
I didn't know that. But I didn't pay full price either. Oreocrow sold me the whole set - front, back, and pads - for 600. They've been great for me so far.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I didn't know that. But I didn't pay full price either. Oreocrow sold me the whole set - front, back, and pads - for 600. They've been great for me so far.
riderdiscount hooked me up big time to , full price who does that :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Yeah, Lemick sells Braketech Axis Iron rotors for 700.00. i paid around 700 for the fronts, rear and pads for my galfers in a package deal. Just didn't get what i expected out of them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yeah, Lemick sells Braketech Axis Iron rotors for 700.00. i paid around 700 for the fronts, rear and pads for my galfers in a package deal. Just didn't get what i expected out of them.
what galfer did you get thats what matters

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
it was definitely the normal grade not SBK, and i understand i should not expect anything great, but i still expect a little difference from OEM rotors. I'm going to give the Braketech's or Brembo's a try next. I'll report up my findings.

·
Registered
575 Posts
it was definitely the normal grade not SBK, and i understand i should not expect anything great, but i still expect a little difference from OEM rotors. I'm going to give the Braketech's or Brembo's a try next. I'll report up my findings.
it was going to be the SBK galfer or the Brembo , here is why i got galfer SBK ones . on my zx10r 08 i had galfer sbk my buddy had brembo on the same bike , and after laps on the track i like the galfer better ,,so did he ,,but didnt want to say LOL , thats just me , not trying to change your mind , just a little info is all . good luck with what ever you get . just make sure you get the best pads , and if you ride the street only dont get race pads , PS got to add RidersDiscount gave me a price on the galferSBK i could not pass up .

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
ridersdiscount is awesome. i've purchased a few things from them for my BMW.
Yeah, who knows. maybe i just had a bad experience with Galfer.I'm sure the SBK version is lightyears away from my experience. I am going to try something different though. My Aprilia has Brembo Discs and i really like them, but i've heard great things about Braketech as well. As for pads, i'm going with some Vesrah SRJL or CL C59's. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Back in Aug I bought a set of the Carbonne Lorraine from Mike at Kyle Racing. I am not sure which model they are but I love them. NEVER had an issue on the track with brakes fading or weak brakes.
They are probably c59's. I've spoken to Mike about it as well and he highly recommended them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts