RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: sorry stupid question, but why dos rossi /gp stars hang their legs out going around a corner ?? as thay have only been hanging the leg out the last few years,:eek: my wife asked me and im not sure cheers buddha

·
Registered
728 Posts
well you see when a young male has to urinate he initially just squats, as he gets older, matures, and either gets tired of peeing on himself, or learns from an older male, he lifts his leg to pee. Look for the wet streak on the track you will see what I mean...lol

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:p ok so rossi is veary old and riding ducati will he start two squat :eek: [i now he did teach alot of kids two hang a leg out,but he is old] and i have seen a brown :eek: streak on the gp track not a good thing two see...lol cheers buddha :D:D:D

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Haven't read a definitive reason why, but some believe the surface area from the exposed body area acts as a sail and helps rotate the bike.
I'm surprised some magazine hasn't experimented to find the effects.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I have also heard that Rossi, did not start until he started riding Supermoto races. Most that stick their legs out normally ride supermoto when the have time.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I think I read somewhere (or might've heard it on Speed TV while watching a race) that sticking the leg out was supposedly to get as much weight forward and inside the turn as possible.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think I read somewhere (or might've heard it on Speed TV while watching a race) that sticking the leg out was supposedly to get as much weight forward and inside the turn as possible.
that and it takes the weight off the turn in side of the pegs and puts all your weight on the outside peg wich may help from lowsiding the bike. If you notice its only done under the hardest braking from the highest speeds. If the front decides to start sliding guess what your foot is allready there to pick it up little. think dirt track.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Interesting thoughts being posted here. I sent this question on to an instructor I know, and who I consider a reliable information source. This is the response I received:

Those guys are on the brakes so hard, the front end has to be weighted so much that I truly doubt they are trying to put more weight there. Already, there are lots of guys crashing on the brakes (too much force).

Someone did it once (I believe Rossi) and now everyone thinks it's some miracle technique. Some more educated guesses are, he needed to stretch due to a cramp, or he wanted to distract the rider behind him, or that he was blocking the rider behind him.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Blocking was my first impression.
If the bike isn't wide enough in the race line, add a few more inches of human body width.
Now you're really too wide to pass inside.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
there used to be an British show called "Fast bikes show" i think they made like 4 movies in the early 2000's and i think it was the journalist crew of the "fast bikes" magazine at the time. It's actually petty hard to get a hold of, but i have 2 episodes. In one they go to kenny roberts school in Spain which is all on on the dirt but are applied techniques for the track (Sete Gibernau is there too) and one of the main techniques taught is this for braking/cornering/blocking on dirt and how it can be applied on the track.

·
Registered
118 Posts
there used to be an British show called "Fast bikes show" i think they made like 4 movies in the early 2000's and i think it was the journalist crew of the "fast bikes" magazine at the time. It's actually petty hard to get a hold of, but i have 2 episodes. In one they go to kenny roberts school in Spain which is all on on the dirt but are applied techniques for the track (Sete Gibernau is there too) and one of the main techniques taught is this for braking/cornering/blocking on dirt and how it can be applied on the track.
I agree! but most of all it looks cool!

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
heck yea it does. Simoncelli has picked it up quite a bit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was always under the impression that it was so that the rider knew he was at the limit of his lean angle (knee touch=no more tire!). I guess we all learn something everyday :D

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I was always under the impression that it was so that the rider knew he was at the limit of his lean angle (knee touch=no more tire!). I guess we all learn something everyday :D
its was their leg not their knee, i was asking about, the gp stars an't doing it as much lately cheers buddha

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just presumed they were stretching to ease cramp or whatever. I really can't see any other reason why. But that's just my opinion. And I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but it turned out not to be, I was wrong about being wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
1- Easier positioning prior to hanging off
2- Wind brake, more area of resistance
3- Reduces fatigue, gives a chance to stretch
4- Distracts other riders
those are the various reasons I’ve been given at track days when asking the same question

1 - 20 of 36 Posts