RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
To keep the massive power planted.:D

Honda OEM wheels have always been on the heavy side, especially the sand casted ones. I am glad they did something to change this with the redesign of the 1KRR, those look great and on the lighter side too.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Stock wheel 10.5lbs no discs add the rotors and a tire you have a stock wheel heavy wheel assembly.

Best mod and no drawbacks other than money...is lighter wheels, lighter wheels = less unsprung weight.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Stock wheel 10.5lbs no discs add the rotors and a tire you have a stock wheel heavy wheel assembly.

Best mod and no drawbacks other than money...is lighter wheels, lighter wheels = less unsprung weight.
That's all.:rolleyes::D

I call that second to suspension, suspension is a great bang for the buck too.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts

We all know shedding weight costs money...especially unsprung weight. As for the no drawbacks, it's true unlike high horsepower which can easily be done and on the cheap ie; nitrous oxide but the drawback? Less reliabilty and a shortened life span for the motor.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts

I think he meant what each wheel weighs, not the difference between the two. :D

I agree, wheels, tire choice, suspension (Incl. geometry) and brakes are the best performance modifications you can make. :)

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I just compared my bare sp2 wheel to a 2012 blade wheel and there is no difference. Approx 5kg.
:D truely irrelevant, grab an ole' Superhawk/ three spoke "Rock" 12.8 lbs with rotors/no tire.. Rear wheel 2lbs more.
Cheap wheel conversion is the 1996-2001 CBR 600, and 900 wheels, which takes off a wonderful 9.6 lbs of mass..
So....

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I just compared my bare sp2 wheel to a 2012 blade wheel and there is no difference. Approx 5kg.
:D truely irrelevant, grab an ole' Superhawk/ three spoke "Rock" 12.8 lbs with rotors/no tire.. Rear wheel 2lbs more.
Cheap wheel conversion is the 1996-2001 CBR 600, and 900 wheels, which takes off a wonderful 9.6 lbs of mass..
So....
That's a lot! Aren't the axle lengths different?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
That's a pretty decent weight reduction for the $$. Are the CBR600 rims 7 inch? For the 190's. How about the 900's. I thought they had 6-1/2 inch.
Just a little confused?...you do mean a 5.5" rear correct? As they only run a 180mm rear tire.
The CBR900's ran a 5.5" rear also...as far as I know there isn't a Japanese sportbike that runs a 7" rear wheel. All the bikes I know of running a 190mm are on 6" wheels.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
That's a lot! Aren't the axle lengths different?
As Stig said, I'd say that what n1xxl was trying to put forth was that the 2012 wheel was approx 5 kg or 11 lbs versus the Nobody RC51 at weight at 10.5 lbs.

Just a little confused?...you do mean a 5.5" rear correct? As they only run a 180mm rear tire.
The CBR900's ran a 5.5" rear also...as far as I know there isn't a Japanese sportbike that runs a 7" rear wheel. All the bikes I know of running a 190mm are on 6" wheels.
I'm with Nobody here, you're talking about a less wide rear tire. But I think jondog 9 means 17", which I think he's correct to question. My quick internet read also puts the 900RR front wheel at 16". That whole conversion by 1971allchaos results in a 16" front and only 5.5 inch wide rear. Not good for the RC IMO.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
:D Perplexing I realize... The proper conversion is a 1993-1997 CBR 900rr rear wheel, which is 5.5" wide, then 1995-1998 CBR600 front wheel -which is a 17" wheel.
And putting a 190/50/17 on the rear of a S-hawk, has been done..:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts