RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads,
got a lot of winter work coming up and im gonna go ahead and replace my fuel filter. can never see these advertised for sale anywhere or even on fleabay. any idea why?

Is it something i should go to the dealer for?

·
Premium Member
6,486 Posts
You can change it out yourself, it just requires draining the tank and removing the fuel pump.
Since it's inside the fuel tank, I'm guessing it a case of "out of sight, out of mind".

If this will be the first time removing the fuel pump, you might want to order a fresh fuel pump gasket as well, as it may have grown a bit stiff due to time and fuel exposure.
That's what I did for mine.

Do they put ethanol in your fuel across the pond, or is it 100% gasoline?
Ethanol is corrosive and tends to degrade rubber components, and not to keen on metals either.

Over here, it's mainly just a political reason rather than any actual logical reason. The just BS us with pseudo-logic.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good advice man, will look at ordering a gasket if i do do this. but the thing i wanted to know is why i never see rc51 fuel filters for sale? its the same with the fuel pressure regulators.

do you have to go to a dealer for them?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Pretty much a dealer only item.
Definitely get a gasket if possible, you may not need it, but if you do, it's the only thing that'll work. I bought one recently about $10 or so. And the fuel filter is an easy change too. Just slide the clamps all the way off the hoses, unplug the harness, loosen the clamp and attached ground wire.
I took these pics as I installed the new filter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hope it's OK to resurrect this thread. I was curious about replacing the fuel filter; do I need to do it?
I've owned my SP2 for 18 years and the filter has never been replaced or inspected.
I have no fuelling issues (that I'm aware of).
I have the factory service manual and the fuel filter is not mentioned in the maintenance schedule; replacing it is shown in section 5-51, but there's no mention of any fuel filter return, or any other parts other than the fuel pump & gasket.
It would seem I'm in for a world of pain of I do try and replace the filter, as the gasket, hoses and other parts may easily damage in taking the filter out, etc. due to age.
I adhere to the maintenance schedule, and never skip servicing, but in this instance, the adage "if it ain't broke ..." springs to mind. Then again, if you wait for something to go wrong it usually ends up being more expensive & time consuming to fix; "prevention is better than cure".

Do you guys regularly replace your fuel filter, or like me, have any of you not done it? Just looking for some benefits that would convinced me to do this, and would appreciate further clarification on the fuel filter return (the link I saw to "fowlers parts in the UK" shows a "part 4" but when you search for VTR1000 is applicable bikes, it doesn't come up).

Thanks for any comments :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
@sbrenchley - Quite the conundrum !

If I were in your shoes, I would tackle that project when the bike will be down for an extended amount of time (winter).

You are correct in thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to source some related replacement parts (hoses, clamps, fuel sock/strainer, etc) if you run into trouble, especially if you plan on riding your bike until the wheels fall off (bet it'll last another 18 years heh).

G'luck ! :)

·
Premium Member
6,486 Posts
Just remember, those hoses in the photos from post #9 can get hard as a rock from age and constant fuel exposure.
I had ordered all associated hoses when I ordered by filter and strainer years ago. Good thing I did.
The rubber was so hard and stiff, I had to use wire cutters to break enough chunks off the hoses to remove from the fittings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks very much for the replies; really helpful and seems to make sense to do it over a long period when I can get all the bits ready. I'm still not sure about the "strainer"; is it shown in the photos in post #9 or do you have a part no. for it please? I may call my Honda dealer to see whatthey have as a full set of work instructions for the filter replacement,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts