RC51 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the purchase of a new Ladybird setup from Simon, I proceeded to remove my current Yoshimura RS3 system. I had already planned to replace the existing header wrap (installed by a previous owner) as the color had faded and was starting to fray in certain areas. As I removed the existing wrap, I was disappointed to learn that the wrap had damaged the header in multiple areas. As you'll see in the attached photos, the collector appears to have caved in along with multiple cracks at the seams. Thank you to another forum member, I was able to procure a replacement SP2 header. I have already returned the new wrap kit and will not be making any modifications to the new header. I wanted to pass along this information to anyone that has considered this modification.

Jason

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wrap makes the pipe hotter than normal without airflow around it , the metal fatigues and gets brittle. Ceramic coating will do the same thing if it isn't applied to the inside as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information. I had contemplated a ceramic coating for the outside but found similar guidance that the inside needed to be treated as well. At this time, the replacement header will be installed as factory.

·
Registered
2002 VTR1000SP2
27 Posts
My '02 748R... Bought in 2010, I am the second owner. I had the pipes done by JetHot in 2013.

This photo was taken at the end of last riding season... they look just as good today as the day I got them back from JetHot. That was 7 riding seasons ago. And the best part is that there is absolutely zero maintenance required to keep them looking like that.

I have not decided what type of exhaust system I'll be replacing the OEM with when I start the build on my RC year after next, but I CAN tell you what type of finish will be on those pipes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts