RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I have decided to start a thread that i'll be using to detail my little rc51 build.

I think for most people on here this will be a pretty conventional build with some pretty conventional parts, but I'm hoping that at least a couple of the things I do will raise some eyebrows.

I have a plan in place and i'll be trying my best to stick to it, I know how these bikes can empty your wallet with all the cool little things available.

i'll use this thread as a picture dump and a record of what I'm doing.

sadly I don't really have any pics at the moment, but since buying the bike I've spent some time with the machinist and have my front end bolted up and looking great and am working on fitting the rear wheel at the moment.

pics to follow!

my shaw webspace got deleted. so the entire project can be viewed here

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/f69Kr7

·
Banned
4,574 Posts
Looking forward to following along with the build Will. Pictures are a must around here ;)

Glad you sorted out the BST's. Glad I picked a set up when they came up locally.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your progress Wibbly. Your reputation precedes you. :D

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i got an sp2 top clamp from a member on here (thanks Gerry!), that i took to the machinist to open up the fork holes 1 mm to fit my rc8r ohlins fgrt812s. i built the front end for my 600 based around a 1krr top clamp which retains the 214mm fork spacing as the 51, so that was all i needed to do to slide the whole front end in!

also snagged a scott's damper mount direct from scotts to carry the damper over from the 600

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
then i had to fit the rear wheel. with a bit of measuring and a bit of time at the machine shop, i got it sorted. i had to add 2mm to the brake side to center the rotor, then 8mm to the sprocket side, i did 4 behind the cush drive and 4 in front to keep the sprocket alignment. you can see the washers i had to build to pull the sprocket bolts back into the cush rubbers

pardon the dirt, my hands were disgusting from breaking the stock chain

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
so here's how it sits at the moment, i have the exhaust and chain off obviously, replacements coming soon

you can see the preload adjuster for the ohlins shock, there's also a kyle link in there. these i got from the previous owner, uninstalled. i put them on yesterday in a bout with boredom.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
and today, this happened.

simon shipped it on sunday, it was here today. from JAPAN. shipping something from within canada wouldn't be that fast

HUGE props to @simonkobe for hooking this up! i'm thrilled with it!

the quality is staggering. absolutely incredible! the existence of this exhaust is a major part of why i'm back on a 51

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HA! not going to happen!

i got those from a speedzilla member in 2010. since being on my first rc51, they've been on my rc8r, then my 600rr, and now the 51 again. i will NEVER sell these. thanks to braketech's design, it's super easy to get new carriers and bolt them to any bike you have.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
How are the CMC rotors, Wibbly? :D

You'll like the HRC Ladybird's quality of fitment and sound. Oh yes!

Great start on your project, looking forward to seeing more soon.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the cmcs are fantastic. tons and tons and tons of initial bite with the ferodo zrac pads, and very nice progression. nothing too insane, but very responsive and shockingly light.

my front wheel fully assembled with spacers, rotors etc is just a hair over 8 lbs. it makes for a very quick steering bike.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Carbon wheels will do that to a bike. :)

Take a look at Makis' bike and where he positioned his remote adjuster. There's an Ohlins (gold anodised :D) bracket available to make more tidy positioning. I may be able to find another here in Japan.

No doubt you have many other plans too, but I'd recommend some Magical Racing products too (mirrors - I have the info on the best parts to use if you need). Order early, as they've been quite slow at deliveries.

I see you sold the Subaru and got a BMW too. :D

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
in other news, my package from bsr has shipped. nothing fancy, just a pcv, chain, rcs16, clutch line, and windshield. hopefully i'll hear from scott soon for my rear rotor to complete my brakes for the bike.

after that i'll have to stockpile some more dough to get rolling on the rest of it.

but after all, i will have all winter right?

1 - 20 of 225 Posts