RC51 Forums banner
221 - 225 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
just got the last piece of the puzzle installed recently. my top clamp is the final piece.

i designed this quite a long time ago, but now it's done. my machinist and i finalized the details and machined it last week. then hand finish, anodize, and now it's installed.

my top clamp is the last part of the bike to bring it to completion. the goal here was to keep it as clean as possible, no visible fasteners, no branding, no nothing. wretchedly excessive, but totally understated, like the bike it's sitting on. i couldn't have hoped for it to turn out better than it did.

the base shape works with my attack adjustable offset lower, so i can use attack inserts and change trail still with this clamp. the forks are captured with bronze collets, and the insert is captured with a bronze wedge. the top cap bolts on from below to hide it all and leave the nice clean look i was after.

super pleased.

37 by William Glancy, on Flickr

38 by William Glancy, on Flickr

39 by William Glancy, on Flickr

40 by William Glancy, on Flickr

41 by William Glancy, on Flickr

42 by William Glancy, on Flickr

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wibbly,
Your bike is without a doubt the sweetest RC I have ever seen! I have my own 2002 SP2 project going on that is driving me up a wall because I can`t get it to fire up! Let me give you a little history. I bought the bike 10 years ago and rode it about 60,000 miles with just a stator regulator/rectifier which I fixed when funds allowed. After that I had a chain snap on me at speed and the mounts for the clutch master was done. No fixing that. I put the bike in storage and this summer decided I would buy another SP2 engine and try to rebuild. Bought a 16k mile motor from a member and opened it up, cleaned the carbon from the pistons and valves, adjusted all the valves on the loose side so I would have to do a check for a long while. Closed the motor back up with new head gaskets and verified multiple times that the timing was correct. Checked it over and over and even got my wife to look at it with me to make sure the marks were dead on. Bought CBR600RR coils to do the coil over plug mod, sealed the gas tank with a KBS kit and bought a new filter and fuel pressure regulator. Installed the motor with the upgrades added fuel and here is where the fun (frustration) began.
Fuel pump primed so I know the BAS, fuel relay and engine stop relay are good. But I was not getting spark or fuel!
Traced the spark issue to a blown CDI so I replaced that. The throttle body is from my original 60k mile engine so I figured it had sat and maybe was clogged. Pulled the injectors and had them cleaned and flow tested and I soaked the fuel rail in berryman`s carb cleaner for a week to make sure the rail is free. Put the throttle body back together with the fresh injectors, cleaned all the pins on the harness connected the tank back up without the airbox and I still get no start. Pull the codes and get code 18 (cam position sensor - new) code 19 (ignition pulse generator - new) and now I am getting codes 12, 13, 14 and 15 which are all the injectors! WTF?? The only thing left in the system is the ECU which is no longer available .... new. I`ve put a lot of cash in this bike and sometimes I think of setting it on fire until I see your bike and manage to back away from the ledge. You are the resident expert in my opinion .... what do you think I should do at this point? ECU replacement?

Todd

Bought so far:
CDI
FPR
IPG
CAM SENSOR
NGK PLUGS
CBR600RR COP MOD
CLEANED INJECTORS
CLEANED AND SEALED TANK WITH NEW FILTER
Power Commander has been removed while troubleshooting but has a custom map.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
hey man, if you have a pile of error codes it sounds like a wiring issue. a lot of these sensors share common reference voltage sources, so if you're getting all four injectors failing the loop check, it's likely a connector. similarly if you get a bunch of sensors like cam and crank position (again shared reference) it could be a bad pin somewhere.

if it were me i'd be checking for continuity in the wiring between the ecu and the sensors, and also looking for corrosion in any of the connections.

221 - 225 of 225 Posts