RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in December I purchased this RC51 as a project to work on while the snow kept us all inside. I've owned alot of bikes over the years (Ducati's, Aprilia's Harley's) and I have always said if I was going to buy a Honda I wanted to get an RC51. I'm a firm believer motorcycles should only have 2 cylinders. :)

So I thought I'd post some pictures detailing the trip along the way. As it turned out the bike needed more than I had orginally thought but in the end, or near end I should say, it was fun. I love working on something that is entering the end of it's life and helping it return to former glory. This is what it looked like when I purchased it.

Enjoy...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But the closer I got to the bike being completed the better I felt about the whole thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And here it is as of last weekend. With these things they are never done for me but this is getting really close. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

2000 RC51
17K miles
Replaced or repaired the following:
Tires
Drive chain & sprockets
Brake & clutch lines
Clip ons
Air filters
Fork seals
All body panel mounting hardware
Wind screen
levers
Repacked all wheel bearings
Brake pads
steering head bearings
Turn signals
Fuel tank
Installed Power commander
Powder coated wheels and swingarm
Plugs
Every drop of fluids

I'm sure there is more that I have forgotten over the last 8 months. (I'm sure there's a reason behind that!) :)

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Nice job apeboy! (seems a little wierd calling you that) 2000's are cool. Pardon my bias. Funny, my 2000 took me about 6-7 months, and it's clock was at 16,000 mi. I got it running and started riding while finishing things up, like PC installation, exhaust, healer, etc. It's so fun to upgrade a little at a time and feel the improvements incrementally.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job apeboy! (seems a little wierd calling you that) 2000's are cool. Pardon my bias. Funny, my 2000 took me about 6-7 months, and it's clock was at 16,000 mi. I got it running and started riding while finishing things up, like PC installation, exhaust, healer, etc. It's so fun to upgrade a little at a time and feel the improvements incrementally.
Yeah the name kind of stuck when I owned the Aprilia. You can just call me Tom.
I have not actually rode the bike yet (It's not even plated) other than just around my neighborhood to make sure things were functioning right since I had so much of the bike apart. I don't have any pictures but at on point in time there was nothing on the stand but a frame and engine. I took some time the other day to make sure the important stuff was all tight but I need to go thru everything I had off with a torque wrench again just to make sure.

Post some pictures of yours if you get time!

·
Registered
54 Posts
She's gorgeous bro, nice work man. at least yours came with stock fairings lol. yeah i still need to check valves and tighten everything down myself.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts

2000 RC51
17K miles
Replaced or repaired the following:
Tires
Drive chain & sprockets
Brake & clutch lines
Clip ons
Air filters
Fork seals
All body panel mounting hardware
Wind screen
levers
Repacked all wheel bearings
Brake pads
steering head bearings
Turn signals
Fuel tank
Installed Power commander
Powder coated wheels and swingarm
Plugs
Every drop of fluids

I'm sure there is more that I have forgotten over the last 8 months. (I'm sure there's a reason behind that!) :)
And by doing all this, you know your bike far better than just cranking and riding! :)
At least your bodywork was in much better shape than mine was.
I had to replace all mine since is was cracked all over.
And the wiring harnesses too.

And I hope you caught that missing mid-pipe mount bolt on the left rearset?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And by doing all this, you know your bike far better than just cranking and riding! :)

Yeah I had to order both of the bushings that go thru the mount before I could put the bolts on. They came in the other day. My body work is in ok condition. I have some small cracks in the fairing mount on the left side and the rear cowl. I had to replace all of the decals on both of the side fairings since the bike had been down on both sides but all of the scratches were in the decals. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you use a bearing puller do get them in and out?
Actuall they are very easy to change as long as you have a way of holding the bike in the air to remove them. Once thats done and you get the tripple clamp off and remove the yoke the top & bottom bearing races just tap out of the frame with a hammer and punch. The bearing that is on the bottom of the yoke is the toughest one to remove obviously but if you have a dremel with a cut off wheel you can cut the roller retainer off and let the rollers fall off leaving only the the bearing race. Then (being very careful) cut into the race about 1/2 way and take a chissel and hammer to the spot you cut and since the race is such hard material it will split with very little force from the hammer. And off it comes. Don't throw it away though since you can turn it upside down and use it as a go between when driving the new bearing down onto the yoke shaft.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I agree. I have done all of the work on every bike I have ever owned and even though they all share mechanical concept with each other they are all very different. The Aprilia was easy. Not much work to do on it's rotax motor but the Ducati was kind of the usual maintenance hog but I did enjoy owning it.
2 year ago I rebuilt a pretty badly crashed 04 Fat Boy that was kind of fun. It turned out to be a beautiful bike but I did not enjoy doing it as much as the RC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts