RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I should start another thread for this...
Well, I've decided to redo my rear wiring harness and so far everything's pretty simple, but I've hit a bump when it comes to my integrated tail lights.

I tried to clean it up as much as possible, but it's really just a gaggle of wires back there. It looks like I've got two more.. umm.. relays? than on my donor harness:

I think they're hooked up two these three harnesses, but I'm not sure:

I think these are ebay dealies, but I'm not sure. Everything else with this harness is pretty much a bunch of unplugging, unrouting, re-routing and re-plugging but I dunno what I'm supposed to do with these extra relays and the wiring for the tail lights.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Those blue and white plugs I think are stock in the harness. I also have them but while yours are plugged into something, mine are not. I just checked the wiring diagram and I think the brown and green one is a service check connector. I can only see the green wire on the other plug.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, this tail light wiring has me all messed up. Anyone ever wire up an integrated tail light and have to add an extra relay? I figured out one of the "extra" relays, but there's one relay that looks like it has a 4-prong harness that has a black wire merged with another relay harness. I wanted to avoid hacking and slashing into this harness, but I guess I gotta do it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Will If I can find an equivalent 12V relay that's in a 3 prong configuration, would it make any difference? I've finished plugging everything up besides the tail light stuff and everything seems to be running okay.

I know this might be asking a bit much, but if any of you happen to have your tail/seat off, could you take a quick picture of the wiring you have going on under there from random angles? The wiring diagram in the service manual is a bit... overwhelming.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
The light blue and orange connectors are to your turn signals.
The white connector might be one of the two tail light connectors. Though hard to tell.

Both while tail light connectors have a black light bulb mount that connects to them and snaps into the fender (which is cut away for the undertail). Then the bulbs are inserted into those mounts.
I kept one white connector and sacrificed the other to adapt the wiring to my undertail.

The small green connector just above the bank angle switch is your service connector. It's near the battery box.

For an SP2, you have 4 relays at the rear: Fan control, bank angle sensor, turn signal, fuel cut-off.

This is why you don't trim the rear fender flush near the battery box.
You cut a square "U" on the inside of the fender, using the subframe inner rails as a guide.
You can then mount the relays to their original mount posts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it seems I might have an SP1 wiring harness in there or something because the pigtail for my fan control relay is a 3-prong instead of a 4-prong.

Anyways, thanks for the help Sub, that clears it up a bunch. You da man.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The sp1 has no relay on the fans, it has a direct thermal switch to a single fan.
I read this thread late but the first thing I thought of was you have an SP1/sp2 harness mismatch.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the previous owner had an extra relay hooked up. Now I just have to wait for my PCIIIusb and I'm good to go! Even got the tail lights figured out! Woot!

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
By the way, I happened to notice you have what looks like a Dzus fastener at the tip of the undertail.
Is that to keep the undertail from flapping around because the fender is cut off just behind the battery box?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm not exactly sure. I haven't done anything cosmetically to the bike besides the dead bugs on the windscreen.

::edit:

nevermind, that thing is because he cut the stock license plate/tail light holder and jerry rigged a couple brackets as a "home made" fender eliminator.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
well glad you got it all figured out. That rear harness can get confusing especially if rerouting or reconfiguring SP1 with an SP2 etc. I re wired my entire SP1 tail......everything. Does not help that the factory harness is a jumble in itself once tape and tubing is unravelled. wires crisscroos and limit movement everywhere. Hers a link to how mine turned out.

http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4681

Fifth picture down is what i finished with. Let me know if you have any other questions on anything back there.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, wiring is a bit daunting, but since I wasn't doing that much in terms of splicing besides figuring out my integrated tail lights it was pretty much a breeze. I was using the wiring harness already on there as a reference, but it didn't help as much as I thought it would. I didn't find it confusing at all and this is my first real experience with wiring, as with any other part install with anything it was just a matter of following the steps. Remove hardware holding in old parts, remove old parts, put in new parts, put in hardware holding in new parts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I done messed up and used an SP1 harness on my bike. Luckily everything works except the fans and I'm trying to merge the fan relay into it. I'll find out tomorrow whether it worked or not. If it doesn't, I'll have to go and buy an SP2 harness and go through the whole thing again.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
On the SP2, the main electrical ground is on the frame, just under the right upper subframe bolt.
There's a bit of the wiring harness with several ground wires running to a common lug.
The lug is secured to the frame ground point by a 6mm flanged hex bolt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts