RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

As part of putting my bike together again i am encountering some issue with my undertail install. Looks like the rear wiring harness has been tampered with. I have Subsailors writeup on wiring and also the wiring diagram (i suck at any thing electrical) anyhow i am attaching a couple of pictures.

Bestem undertail has four wires per light plus i have added a led license plate light. Black and Grey wires.

Undertail:
Black = Ground
Yellow = Running
Red = Break
Blue = Turn

License Plate light:
Black = Ground
Grey = Running light

As you see from the pictures i have three connections from each side.

Green = Ground
Brown =
Green and Yellow = Turn

Inputs please....Many thanks for your help.

Pictures here

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
On the OEM harness, the following color codes are:

Black/Brown = Tail Light and License Plate Light (both at same point electrically)
Green = Ground

Green/Yellow = Brake lights
Green = Ground

Orange = Right Signal
Green = Ground

Light Blue = Left Signal
Green = Ground

Match the OEM wire colors to the equivalent Bestem colors and test.
For the signals, you will need to find which wire goes to which signal as Bestem in the past used the same color for each signal regardless of Left or Right.

Don't use splices to lash it together. Use solder and heat shrink tubing.
Also, for servicing, try to find a suitable electrical connector with enough contacts so you can easily remove the undertail if need be (easily done if an electronics supplier is available).

I say this because the prior owner to my bike hard-wired the upper cowl to the harness, which made for interesting times (and much cussing) when I went to remove it.
And made a simple job complex.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Black/Brown = Tail Light and License Plate Light (both at same point electrically)
Green = Ground

Green = Ground

Orange = Right Signal
Green = Ground

Light Blue = Left Signal
Green = Ground

For the signals, you will need to find which wire goes to which signal as Bestem in the past used the same color for each signal regardless of Left or Right.

Also, for servicing, try to find a suitable electrical connector with enough contacts so you can easily remove the undertail if need be (easily done if an electronics supplier is available).

I say this because the prior owner to my bike hard-wired the upper cowl to the harness, which made for interesting times (and much cussing) when I went to remove it.
Thank you sir!!!! willupdate

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so i have tried all the suggestions from here. I did a little video to show what the issue is can you please take a look and recommend if not she goes to the stealership to get sorted Dropbox link here thanks Guys

·
Registered
355 Posts
Green w/yellow from tail light goes to bestem red, black w/yellow from tail light goes to bestem blue, solid green from tail light and solid green from turn signal both go to bestem black orange from turn signal goes to bestem yellow. That's the best I could describe it, that is the left side. Right side, turn signal blue to bestem yellow the rest is the same as the left but from the right tail light. The tag light is pretty straight forward. Green is ground black w/brown? Stripe is power.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank BPW! Even when your turn signals are not connected should the display show if your turn signal switch is engaged?

·
Registered
355 Posts
if neither front nor back is connected no, if only the front or back is connected it will "fast flash" if both front and back are connected it will do the normal flash interval.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if neither front nor back is connected no, if only the front or back is connected it will "fast flash" if both front and back are connected it will do the normal flash interval.
Thank you Sir!!!! Between you and Sub Sailor i think i may have saved some money and gained a lot of knowledge. Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts

Green = Ground

Green = Ground

Orange = Right Signal
Green = Ground

Light Blue = Left Signal
Green = Ground

hey guys
was looking at this and gonna thread jack this diagram
im in the middle of fitting my hotbodies undertail.
I've connected almost everything but where does the green wire off the turn signal go?
I've connected the other 3 wires which made sense but this one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have all 3 wires together and still nothing flashes. the bestem black wire is the same as hotbodies. instrument panel display doesn't even indicate. thoughts?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Make sure it's the solid green wires not the green wires with a stripe. Both solid green wires are grounds, one from tail light one from turn signal both of those go-to a single ground wire in the under tail (assuming you have tail/brake/turn signals integrated into one LED fixture?). Make sure your hotbodies black wire is in fact a ground wire noT something else and that's all that could be wrong really. Post a pic of what you did if you can. I have a bestem, never had a hotbodies but I'd think them to be similar/same?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Left side of the bike under you fairing towards the top. There's a black box that is your fuse box. Closer to the seat than the forks, once you pop that fairing off you can't miss it. Check that, if you were messing around with the wiring with the key turned on you may have blown a fuse, easy to look.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Left side of the bike under you fairing towards the top. There's a black box that is your fuse box. Closer to the seat than the forks, once you pop that fairing off you can't miss it. Check that, if you were messing around with the wiring with the key turned on you may have blown a fuse, easy to look.
the horn, turn and something else fuse was out. replaced it and still no difference. getting lost again

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's hard to trouble shoot without seeing it in person, where are you?

After you replaced your fuses and turned the bike on and tried again did you recheck your fuses again to see if they blew again? Sounds like you may have buggered up the wiring in the tail if everything was fine prior? It's easy to do if your learning.

Was the bike fine before you wired up the undertail?

When you turn the key on now as it sits does the headlight come on dash light up tail light work fuel pump kick on?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts