RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '00 RC that has an intermittent problem where it won't idle when hot. The dealer couldn't replicate the problem.

I live in FL where its always hot & humid. So after riding and with the bike temp from 205-215 or so, when I come to a traffic light the bike wants to stall. If I twist the throttle a little it will stay running and if it does stall I can start it right back up.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I let the bike get up to temp and it was idling around 1100-1200. I upped the idle to 1300 so I'll see what happens on the next ride.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
One other thing: Don't throttle blip as you approach stoplights etc. A lot of street riders do it all the time for no apparent reason whatsoever and the quick, unneeded interruption of airflow being sucked out of the airbox can cause a stall at or near idle speeds if it is timed just right with a revolution without a power pulse etc

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Check the coolant. Pay attention to the temp gauge. Zero the power commander,It works very well.
The fan needs to spin. If you can't make it spin, then you need to buy another radiator. There's no way you're riding without a fan. Since it's an sp2 you should have two fans, one for each radiator. So you may be ok for now, but the not working fan is probably just blocking airflow if it's not moving.
You are an idiot... If for not the fact that every single thing you just rattled off has no bearing on the actual problem the original poster mentioned then just for the fact he clearly states it is a 2000 model bike not an SP2.

You should shut up, take another hit off the bong and let the adults do the talking.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Fuel Pressure Regulator is another possibility. When they start to fail, one of the symptoms is exactly what you described. So if upping the idle RPM's doesn't do the trick, lift the tank and check your FPR.
Another thing, this may sound dumb, but this mistake happens on occasion: make sure your choke (on the left side) is pushed all the way in, then go to the right side of the bike and adjust your idle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts