RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried starting my RC this past week for the first time in about 6 months and surprise.... It wouldn't start. So I tried two different strong batteries to no avail. The fuel pump primed and everything. It turns over but won't fire. With each try it seems it got harder and harder to turn over even with a strong battery swapped in. I pulled the rear plug tonight and this is what it looked like... Seems normal?

Having a little trouble pulling the the front one. Any tips? I moved the oil cooler out of the way per the manual.

What should I troubleshoot next?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Check for spark, and air and fuel. If untreated, drain the tank and put fresh fuel in as a cheap start. The manual trouble shooting is the best way to go. Hard to say otherwise as the forum guesses. The plug doesn't show a positive or negative to me.

EDIT:

Woke up this morning and also thought PC. If you have a power commander and disconnected the battery through the winter make sure you hooked the PC up to the correct battery terminal again (positive) and that it has power when you turn the bike on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A few extentions and a universal straight through under the headlight worked for me it took abit but was possible. And yes needed to move oil cooler out of the way. Did you get it running yet?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few extentions and a universal straight through under the headlight worked for me it took abit but was possible. And yes needed to move oil cooler out of the way. Did you get it running yet?

Not yet. I ordered a universal joint set and waiting for those to arrive and I will check the front plug. If that's all good, I'll dump my 6 month old fuel and throw some fresh fuel in and try that. If that fails, Looks like I got some digging to do.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
You could try removing the rear plug and grounding it away from the plug opening in the valve cover due to fuel vapors from the injectors.
Then try turning the engine over. If you don't see a spark, try the other plug.
If it's no better, you'll need to start troubleshooting the ignition path for a problem.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could try removing the rear plug and grounding it away from the plug opening in the valve cover due to fuel vapors from the injectors.
Then try turning the engine over. If you don't see a spark, try the other plug.
If it's no better, you'll need to start troubleshooting the ignition path for a problem.

Is this what you mean? My electrical skills need improvement.

http://youtu.be/YVib_RYv8r0

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
More like this. Except you can spin the engine with the starter of course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mUOmsGiirTU

And while Bubba in the video was using a Briggs & Stratton engine, the same principle applies.
Keep the plug tip far away from the plug opening in the valve cover so the fuel vapors won't ignite (you'll only be spinning the engine for a few rotations anyways).

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts

What should I troubleshoot next?
If that's exactly how the plug looked when you removed it, seems to me you're getting no fuel? If removed soon after trying to start it should have been wet with fuel on it. Could you smell fuel when removing the plug?
Also it wouldn't be unusual to smell some fuel in the exhaust after trying for a longish time to start it.

Anyways, you need to find out if it's lack of fuel or spark. Once you know - then go looking for possible causes till you find the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
yes, send me your email

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well checked the front plug this evening it's good. And checked the spark as well which was nice and blue. Next I'm going to dump the fuel and throw some fresh stuff in their and try that.

I have my clutch slave disconnected, that wouldn't have any bearing on starting would it?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
It was down for a bit. I guess the owner payed up
LOL. Just trying to inject some humour with information. Figured as much on your end. No harm intended.

Well checked the front plug this evening it's good. And checked the spark as well which was nice and blue. Next I'm going to dump the fuel and throw some fresh stuff in their and try that.

I have my clutch slave disconnected, that wouldn't have any bearing on starting would it?[/color]
Doubt it, but I'll defer to other posters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That would be a negative on the slave. The micro safety switch is in the master cylinder/lever assembly. So its priming and getting spark? Hmmmm.... If you confirmed spark and you hear the pump prime i would say change the fuel and give that a shot. Throwing this out there but do you keep in a climate controlled environment while it sits. If not you might have got some moisture in the tank which will obviously be the first thing to make its way into the fuel system.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That would be a negative on the slave. The micro safety switch is in the master cylinder/lever assembly. So its priming and getting spark? Hmmmm.... If you confirmed spark and you hear the pump prime i would say change the fuel and give that a shot. Throwing this out there but do you keep in a climate controlled environment while it sits. If not you might have got some moisture in the tank which will obviously be the first thing to make its way into the fuel system.

It sits in my garage which Isn't climate controlled. Next step fresh fuel. I got the air box and fuel tank removed right now. Anything else I should check while those are off?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts