RC51 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2001 RC (first v-twin) it has 12,000 miles on it with no mods. I have noticed that it doesn't start on the first attempt to start, (cold or warm) it's always the three or fourth try, without the use of the throttle and there is also a strong odor on gasoline during the attempted starts. Just had a tuneup to see if it fixed the problem but it didn't and i run 93 octane gas.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check for the gas smell after rides and check for smoke off the pipes too when starting up. My 2001 has the problem with the mount weld and leaks. Some people got their tanks replaced if you look online on some forums. As for the tough starting, COULD be the battery?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I dont think the two issues are related. The gas smell might be a leak like bigwake was saying.. The hard starting could be a ton of diffferent things from a weak battery or starter to a bad fuel filter?? Id find the leak first and deal with that and then move on to the hard starting.. my .02

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will check the following issues on my next off day and get back with you thanks for the help

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Figured out that the smell of gas was in fact the number one cylinder gasket had gone bad, it was replaced and now I don't smell the strong odor of gas which was probably exhaust fumes. As for the hard starts I believe that its the battery, I will replace it and see if that works. I have tried charging the battery several time but it keeps losing power. Now my FI light comes on and stays on while riding ( not blinking ) when this happens the bike runs at about what I will call 70% it runs decent up to 5500 - 6000 where it starts to stumble a lot. If you cut the bike off and restart the light doesn't come on until you really get on the throttle. This is my first v twin and im having really bad luck with it and while having the gasket repaired the mechanic drop the bike on its side cracking the upper fairing left and right lowers and wind shield. The drop was all that bad and they are replacing all the fairings on the bike ( which is cool) but I noticed that the handle bars seem to be off a little. When I sit on the bike it feels like im reaching out for the left handle and not for the right ( if that makes in sense ) it like my left arm is fully extended and my right isn't.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the bike back yesterday and it runs fine but the battery died after the ride that sucks. New battery on the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts