RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, good news, I came away with a sore foot. Yesterday leaving the office for the ride home, me and ARSEY went down. A minor get off, but none the less, went down. As I'm, approaching the intersection to turn left, slowing down and about to put my foot down, but before I come to a complete stop, front wheel washes out and bike falls on its right side catching my right foot underneath. It happened so quick, that I'm still trying to figure out what and how. I did notice a little sand or loose gravel, but nothing I haven't ridden over before. I take this same route daily. Anyway, came out with sore foot and going to doctor this morning for x-ray. ARSEY came away with broken right foot peg, bent rear brake lever,broken right mirror which I just replaced a week ago, paint is scraped on right edge of top cowl below right mirror mount, mid pipe has some rash and right exhaust can is bent in closer to fender. Right canister has some slight rash. Thank god for frame savers, my right fram saver did what it was supposed to and kept the fairing from touching the asphalt ! ! ! I was able to ride ARSEY home, bracing my right foot on the nub of the foot peg bracket, and realized how much I miss not having a right mirror. So ARSEY is no longer a virgin in relation to hitting the asphalt, almost made it 13 years. Again, this happened so quick, so be careful out there.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Sounds like under your braking the front found an oil slick or some fine sand. You did not feel the front feedback enough to notice the impending lockup or washout....????
Too bizy looking at the chic in the car next to you ??? LOL
I am glad you and the RC are ok, I have had this happen but never went down because of it, but IMO there is normally enough of a warning to get of the brakes to recover it.
Talk to 1971allchaos, he has what you need to get her fixed up, great guy and a great seller.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Glad to hear it wasn't so bad.
First thought is "diesel spillage from a truck or bus".

Your off road riding experience would give you that instinct /reflex Duckhunter, but most road riders haven't done much if any off road riding usually.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
That is very true Stig, I forget that most do not have the off road reflexes to go on.
Thanks for pointing that out.
It really helps as you really can "feel" that much more feedback if you have ridden on dirt then transition to the street. You know "WHAT" you are feeling in a sense.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I've fallen on Diesel before in 2nd gear as I dropped the bike into a corner I was familiar with. Not much time to even think of putting my foot down to save the front end from washing on that one.
Turned out to have been a bus which had been spilling diesel (On university campus). I made sure they paid every penny. Fortunately it was only a 650cc off road bike, so no major damage - but diesel can be nasty!

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I've fallen on Diesel before in 2nd gear as I dropped the bike into a corner I was familiar with. Not much time to even think of putting my foot down to save the front end from washing on that one.
Turned out to have been a bus which had been spilling diesel (On university campus). I made sure they paid every penny. Fortunately it was only a 650cc off road bike, so no major damage - but diesel can be nasty!
You know Stig, Having now read a few story's of yours now.....I would REALLY REALLY hate to ever get on your bad side man.....:p;):D

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
LOL, I'm just a pussycat, really.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Years ago, I had just filled up at a gas station, and when pulling out of the station my rear wheel washed out and almost went down.
I hadn't even fully engaged the clutch in 1st gear, so I was barely moving and used my right leg to stop the bike from fully tipping over.
Since I was going so slow, it for sure wasn't due to throttle action.
After looking around, my best guess was loss of traction due to soap residue in the runoff from the car wash nearby at the station.
So watch those car washers too.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
A long time ago wet grass with a little mud gave me a me near miss when setting off too...
Saved it - just, but I'm more careful of slippery surfaces where the bike's been stopped as a result.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Back in England, I came round a left hander only doing about 30mph as it was a tight bend. Mud on the inside of the corner, front wheel washed out on me. Instinct made me put my leg down. Saved the washout but jarred the crap out of my leg and were it not for wearing proper boots, saved my ankle from snapping. I grew up on dirt bikes too and they do teach you a different style of riding.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Have had a few similar occasions, also in UK as it happens... so over 15 years ago when tyre technology wasn't yet as good as today's. All on my trusty VFR 750 which has been mine for 20 years or so now.

Riding up a straight sliproad in heavy rain I suddenly realised the car in front of me was completely stationary. Grabbed some front brake quickly and the front washed out. Letting go & stamping on the ground saved it before re-applying more gently and avoiding said car. Was about then that I upgraded to 6 piston calipers - as the great increase in power also gave a lot better finesse with braking.

So one day I'm on a a Sussex coast road and as it turns into a dual-carriageway I come down a couple of gears and am about to give it WOT. Suddenly from the corner of my eye I spot a Police car hiding behind a hedge. I grab the brake, front locks and I do the same stamping on the ground ritual. Wobbled, untidy but saved it.
I still got stopped... Having seen smoke from the front, they were trying to make me admit what I was about to do, but I didnt.
Off-road road riding that can make us more useful for on-road. Doesn't make anyone invincible by any stretch, but it's worth doing. Good fun too.

Thankfully I haven't had any such moments I can remember on the SP2. Takes a lot more to overcome the grip of a good sports tyre nowadays...

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Years ago, I had just filled up at a gas station, and when pulling out of the station my rear wheel washed out and almost went down.
I hadn't even fully engaged the clutch in 1st gear, so I was barely moving and used my right leg to stop the bike from fully tipping over.
Since I was going so slow, it for sure wasn't due to throttle action.
After looking around, my best guess was loss of traction due to soap residue in the runoff from the car wash nearby at the station.
So watch those car washers too.
There is no way possible you "almost went down"...with calves like sequoia trees, I cannot fathom it.:eek::D

Well, good news, I came away with a sore foot. Yesterday leaving the office for the ride home, me and ARSEY went down. A minor get off, but none the less, went down. As I'm, approaching the intersection to turn left, slowing down and about to put my foot down, but before I come to a complete stop, front wheel washes out and bike falls on its right side catching my right foot underneath. It happened so quick, that I'm still trying to figure out what and how. I did notice a little sand or loose gravel, but nothing I haven't ridden over before. I take this same route daily. Anyway, came out with sore foot and going to doctor this morning for x-ray. ARSEY came away with broken right foot peg, bent rear brake lever,broken right mirror which I just replaced a week ago, paint is scraped on right edge of top cowl below right mirror mount, mid pipe has some rash and right exhaust can is bent in closer to fender. Right canister has some slight rash. Thank god for frame savers, my right fram saver did what it was supposed to and kept the fairing from touching the asphalt ! ! ! I was able to ride ARSEY home, bracing my right foot on the nub of the foot peg bracket, and realized how much I miss not having a right mirror. So ARSEY is no longer a virgin in relation to hitting the asphalt, almost made it 13 years. Again, this happened so quick, so be careful out there.
Glad you are okay....its just a matter and circumstance for most of us on hitting the asphalt. Its one of the risks we take, it sucks but it is a risk.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I have to agree with madbuyer on 'circumstance' being a very prominant cousin of Murphy. Glad yer OK ARSEY!
I've also had Stig's experience with diesel (or oil, never actually checked which it actually was). Grabbed and handful of front brake on the 1500 Wing about 20 years ago out in a place called Sechelt (Nobody and Duckhunter will be familiar with it) in late afternoon sunlight/glare. Didn't see the goop and my front wheel was in it when I hit the binders for a light. Down we went in a nanno second, but slow forward speed due to the traffic light/intersection. No harm or hurt/scrapes due to the Wing's guards, and herself did as I'd taught her and kept her feet on the boards. Hearing air-brakes hiss behind you is no nice thing though, friggin cement truck stopped right behind us:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts