RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a did xrv Evo 3 chain and sprocket conversion kit. As I was cleaning it tonight I noticed that some of the x-rings have broken. I clean it after about 3 lubes, & I lube the inside of the chain as well. the chain has less than 10000 miles on it. I use Maxima chain wax. Do any of y'all know why this might be happening?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
What do you used to clean the chain, such as chain cleaner and type of brush?
Maybe the bristles on the brush damaged the rings, or the chain cleaner is incompatible with the rubber.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you used to clean the chain, such as chain cleaner and type of brush?
Maybe the bristles on the brush damaged the rings, or the chain cleaner is incompatible with the rubber.
Soft tooth brush and motul chain cleaner. The cleaner is specifically designed for cleaning motorcycle chains.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
D.I.D has responded to my email, we'll see where it goes from here...

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I've had 2 x ring chains, and they both have done the same thing. I'm using motul cleaner, and repsol lube. Still....

I'm pretty meticulous about keeping the chain lubed regularly, every 400 to 600 miles. I truly believe there's a design flaw here...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had 2 x ring chains, and they both have done the same thing. I'm using motul cleaner, and repsol lube. Still....

I'm pretty meticulous about keeping the chain lubed regularly, every 400 to 600 miles. I truly believe there's a design flaw here...

Really frustrating when one thinks they're getting the best. How many miles do you have on your set up?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
"If your chain is D.I.D. 520ERV3, this chain is designed for Racing, not designed for commuter or long mile touring bike, so 10,000 mile is not very bad."

Direct quote from their email response.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I olny got about 1000 miles on the first chain before it started spitting out the top part of the x-rings. Second chain took about 2000 miles before it did the same thing.

fwiw, it appears to me that only part of the rubber ring is coming out, the top quarter or top half of it.

Going back to a regular o-ring chain next time.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will be doing the same. What do you suggest for a decent chain?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I don't know, if DID offers an o-ring chain I'd go with that. I haven't put any research into it and cant remember what others have recommended in the past...

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
You guys must be doing something wrong or using a cleaner that is caustic to the o-rings. Might even be the propellant in the aerosol you are using for lube, cleaner or wax. Even though actual product won't harm the rubber the propellant to get it out of the can that is supposed to evaporate may be very harmful to the rubber and spraying it on too thick will allow it to settle on the x-rings instead of evaporating in the air.

I have personally used the ERV3 520 chain on every single bike I have owned for almost 2 decades now and have sold at least 1000 of them to customers. Rubber X-rings falling apart have never been an issue for me.

I did have a similar problem years ago on my OEM Honda 919 chain, but that was because I was using a stiff bristle brush to clean the chain and the bristles were damaging the rubber o-rings. Since that failure which was totally my fault I have stopped using any type of brushes on the chain and only wipe them down with WD-40 on a terry cloth rag in between applications of either 80Wt gear oil or Repsol chain lube.

I might need to update my gearing page with that information about cleaning chains http://www.rc51.org/gearing.htm

BTW I had over 15,000 nasty, merciless, grueling track only miles on my last ERV3 520 kit and it still had plenty of life left when I replaced it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i want to say i have about 5k miles on my erv3 520 chain. again, i use a grunge brush with kerosene, and maxima chain wax. havent noticed any splitting rings

1 - 20 of 32 Posts