RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it might be fun to have a thread about our most memorable rides.
Would be good to post pics if you have them. Can be on your RC51 or another bike, doesn't matter.

I'll start:

22 years ago, a friend & I decided for our summer break we'd ride our big single trials bikes from UK to Greece & back, using only back roads. This is a memory of one day's ride, on our 2nd day in the South of France, close to the Alpine roads.

It's one road I'll never forget, perhaps aptly called the D911. Both of us were single and fearless if not foolish. Each bike was loaded with tent, sleeping bag, satchel with our belongings, spares, etc. My friend's was an XT600E, mine - a Honda of course, an NX650 (Dominator), both shod with sticky semi off-road tyres. It was a warm morning and the road was empty except for the two of us. What was meant to be a brisk pace had turned into a race of sorts. I was in front, trying to widen the gap between us and he was behind saying "No way he's losing me!". Tarmac was smooth and recently laid and footpegs of our over-laiden bikes were scraping the ground regularly but no matter how hard we tried to beat the other the gap stayed much the same. 3rd gear sweeping corners just kept coming one after another for what seemed hours and it was sweet we were so evenly matched.

Eventually as we reached a small town we stopped and realised there were muscles in our legs we didn't even know existed that were now aching from all the braking & gearchanges we'd been doing. As students we didn't have much money, so our diet was fresh baguettes, cheese, tomatoes - and to drink, water from our plastic jerry cans, but we treated ourselves to a bath in a fast flowing river before putting on all of our clothes and heading for the highest point we could find on the map, to pitch our tent.

After riding around 400 miles a day - Each night we'd do this, often camping on empty fields, or wealthy people's back gardens (No cars & no lights meant there was nobody home! :D) and the sights that would be before us each morning were often breathtaking. In a month we toured about 7 of the Cyclades Islands, before returning to the UK with many adventures & discoveries in between, but that morning's racing through the french D911 will always stay firmly and fondly in my mind.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Nice story Stig.....:)
My most memorable ride LOL, yeah that was a gooder. Ended up with a ticket of $360 dollars. I had picked up my RC about two weeks before this ride.....and I had yet to see just what this monster could do. Well well.....I was traveling over the Malahat here on the Island about 20mins from town on a Sunday afternoon as I had a 9-5 Mon-Fri Job then.
On the way up the mountian from Victoria side there is some nice sweepers and such....I was motoring doing in around 140-220kmh just having a blast, very little traffic as I am not one to go around buzzing cars. Well I got to he top of the Malahat drive and start down the hill into Mill Bay.....very nice long straight stretch here, I just let the RC go....fecking pinned it. Going down hill on this straight she picked up the speed quickly, I looked down at one point I was up around 290kmh what a rush it was !!!
After that I did slow down as Mill Bay came up...Quickly LOL. I pulled into the Tim Hortons they have as I love my Timmy's. Well.....when I came out coffee in hand, helmet in the other ( wearing my Kwak green.black/white leathers LOL ) There was not one, but 2 cruisers sitting by the RC. In my mind I am like well WTF is this...I saw no police ???? Well as it turns out they clocked me over the hill with the Helicopter I never saw:rolleyes:....Said they almost lost me at a point, but I stopped at timmy's:confused::rolleyes::cool:. I am really quite surprised that I got off with just the ticket but most of the cops around here ride, and I was not really putting anyone but myself at risk as they could tell. This was back in early '05 and If you get caught doing that now I would be done for sure and bye bye RC.
Not my best ride but LOL my most memorable for sure. Biggest ticket I ever got too....I am trying to find it as I was going to frame it, If I find it i'll post the pic;)

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great story of the most expensive cup of coffee at Tim Horton's - ever! :D

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
At the risk of sounding really corny...I'm at a stage in life where I try to make all my rides memorable. As I live very close to a nice little 45min loop around a lake.

So quick jaunts and the long road trips always seem to stick in my mind.

The sound of the exhaust note, the smells of the outdoors, people you encounter along the way be them in cages or on two wheels I can always seem to strike up a conversation.

But the common bond with everyone of those rides? It is the way the road makes me feel, to sum it up in a few words.

It's like spending time with an old friend...

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
It's like spending time with an old friend...
That is exactly the feeling I get on rides, most of all when I'm out with my Dad with his Hardley Ablesome. Best feeling on the planet;), Just you, the bike.....and the next corner in the road.:)

·
Registered
154 Posts
My most memorable (not the best not the worst)

Riding with about 10 others on our way to a camping trip in Wisconsin from Illinois. Riding my trusty FZR600 with a tent tied to the side and a sleeping bag on the back (real smooth lol).

Riding loose staggard formation did I say loose? All going well started down some twisties pace picks up. Paced picked up to about 135mph last I looked down as the road was not straight.

Pace slowed to something more sane. Riding now outside front while a guy was inside back as the last pair in the pack I believe. Got it?

Came upon a sweeping left hander and my inside "partner" moved in on me as I broke for the turn. He now was next to me on the dam turn on my inside starting to slide up. I started to move out on the turn BUT.....

He pushed me far enough to the outside of the turn into the gravel edge at the darn apex.

No way I could hold the line.

Two choices:
A. Lay it down
B. Be a cheap bastard and take her off road and see what develops

Being that I am a cheap bastard and did not want to intentional down the bike I chose B!

Not having planed the off road excursion with he travel agency my exit plan was what it was simply an exit. I initiated the non turn and went down the berm into a nice cow field. Ah good choice except for the barb wire fence!

@#$&%$!

Caught a 3 ft opening in the fence as I rallied through while my rear was locked up.

Came out the other side as I eased off the brake and made a left sweeping "Steve Mcqueen" flat tracking off camber turn came back up to the highway and got back in que.

Nobody saw it happen and I never really said much over the beers we had that night. I actually was not in the mood to talk about it.

I grew up riding in the dirt so I guess that helped me do what I did.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool story nochain - would have been fun to watch an FZR600 go offroading!
Riding on dirt to begin with is what everybody should do to avoid panicing when in slippery situations. It would save a lot more falls.

Glad to hear you held it up!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The one off-road adventure on my 1970 cb 750.
Chasing down a buddy on his zx9r (without him knowing or trying to ride fast) :eek: I started catching-up he never did a look back and I was bound and determined to freak him out :D:D:D We both knew the road well and as I had the flat 90deg left sorted out ( at this speed enter wide right use both lanes for an inside apex and lean ) OKay so a mental image of my sidestand and the hideous giant washer the P.O.welded to it appears in my head just at that moment said washer picks the rear tire up and throws the bars hard right :eek::eek:
I skid the rear and keep the bars pointed off the road at the ditch do this weird almost highside thing and catch air landing in knee high weeds/grass running parellel to the farmers drive way slow down take a u-turn onto his driveway then a right and meet my buddy at the stop sign like nothing happened he shook his head at me and the vxt guys we were riding with pulled up behind us so a mile to town and we stop in at the DOG HOUSE Carver Mn. Where I had to explain the missing licence plate and the cathedral pipes smouldering and packed with weeds to the local cop in town;)

True Story :)

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Nice to see another X CB owner here !!!

I had the CB500 Twin and a CB550 Four....great fun little bikes.....:D

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
May as well tell another whilst I remember it... this one's kinda funny.

It was a summer evening and I'd just finished a day at a personal development course in London. The tutor's words at the end of the day had been, "Go out & do something unreasonable tonight!".
There I was, close to a friend's house where I'd be staying the night - when I saw a Police car pull in front of me and drive down the road.
Noticing a tail light was out I thought I'd do the decent thing and tell him at the next lights, we were in a residential area,
Then I clocked his speed. 40 - 44 mph and he continued until he reached a light.
I pulled up next to him.
Now, I'm not really someone to keep to speed limits most of the time, but I don't like it when the Police blatantly speed when not on an emergency. As they would give a motorist a ticket & points on their licence for this it seemed to me they should set an example.
"Go do something unreasonable tonight" rung in my mind. So I did.

"Officer, wind down your window" I signalled with my left hand, as I sat next to his car.
Thinking I probably wanted directions, he did - inquisitively.
"Officer, I'm disgusted with your driving. I just followed you in a 30 mph residential zone and you were doing 44 mph. You are clearly not on an emergency - Pull over!"
It seemed he couldn't believe what he was hearing and his car inched forwards...
"I said Pull Over!" and he inched forwards again.
After the 4th instruction, I cut the bike in front of him, got off and signalled him to stop, which he finally did.

"As a Police officer I have a licence which entitles me to drive at speeds I feel are appropriate", he said.
"OK, this is what I'll do then officer. I'll take your number, make a full & formal complaint at your police station and if indeed you do have a licence to speed, then I'll retract it and provide a full apology in writing".
Then he begun to plead, "Come on. Look, I'm a biker too. Let it go please".
"I find it offensive that a Police officer who gives tickets to people for speeding less than you have do this when not on an emergency", I said - with no intention of dropping this.
Then he turned the tables. "Your bike is not legal. Your exhaust is too loud and you're wearing a tinted visor at night".
"Officer, I stopped you, not the other way around - let's not make this any worse than it is", I said.
Just then a van with 7 police turned up, presumably to intimidate me. They stood there watching in disbelief, until one policewoman said, "I think you're a fuckin' asshole, I do!".
"Oh you do? - Well, I think I'll take your Police uniform number too and include your comment in my complaint".
They said I couldn't ride my bike as it was illegal, but as I was just around the corner from their police station and 5 mins from my friend's house I walked.
Arriving to the police station, I made the complaint. When asked what my employment was, I answered, "Motoring Journalist", which was kinda true as I wrote a small Motorcycle column in a local newspaper at the time, but it was meant to help them take this seriously.

About a month later, I got a formal letter of apology from their Superintendent explaining that sometimes Police will misbehave, but that he'd been reprimanded for his conduct.
That means he got a black mark against his record. ;)

Since then, for fun I stopped a couple of other police cars in UK that had been speeding without being on emergency & never had a problem come as a result. I don't know if anything's changed in the UK, but I would think it's still the same. They can get quite a telling off for conduct like this.

Not really much of a biking story, as I was barely going fast enough to tell about the ride, but it left a sweet memory in my mind to share. Nowadays I'm more reasonable and when I see someone do something they shouldn't on the road I don't get mad. I just remind myself I've taken more liberties than most & got away with it so I leave it at that and don't bother raising my blood pressure. :D

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, if any of you ever think of doing this, remember (In the UK at least) they can't really turn the tables and say you were speeding. If they did, it would look VERY bad in court when the story's told as to why you were speeding. The only caveat is they really must not be on any emergency, but that's fairly easy to tell if they pull up at a traffic light, or don't have their christmas tree lights on!

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
The one I'll remember best and the longest was the first two up tour I took my young wife on, summer of 1982. I'd been riding for nearly 10 years prior to being married, but never travelled for more than 20 miles two up and with camping gear. We were on a 1982 CB750c with soft bags, a tail rack and a 22 litre tank bag. We stopped at my folks to say bye and struck out down the highway in warm sunshine. About 20 miles south storm clouds gathered and in o time it was pouring buckets. We pulled into a roadsid cafe and gas stop and donned our new rain suits and struck off again. The storm worsened, but we had our suits on, ff helmets w/visors so we kept going. the the wind started and things got spooky real fast. Next thing I knew we were in a full blown downbusrt complete with pea sized hail and frigid air outflow. The hail bult to a depth of about 3" and we had little choice but ot follow in the vehicle tracks in front of us. Fortunately we had no incidents and by the time we reached Edmonton AB, the storm had cleared and we were blessed with clear skies down to the gateway to the rockies west of Red Deer. We set up camp in a provincial park as darkness was falling realizing the temperature was dropping as rapidly (severe stroms will do that in Alberta) as the daylight was disappearing.
Our shortcomings of preparation became quickly apparent as we had no sleeping mats, just the tent floor and our sleeping bags. Then we had no flashlight or lantern, and no axe to make kindling to start a much needed campfire. I used to smoke at that time so I had a lighter, and I bummed a small axe from a neighbouring camper and got a fire going so we could cook our dried camp rations. damp and shivering we crawled into our fly-less (another oops) nylon tent and quickly discouvered how lumpy tree roots are and how cold the ground gets (when your wife is there to remind of such unpleasantries).
After a somewhat fitfull night's sleep I awoke at sunrise to absolutely frigid (below freezing) temps and as I crawled ouot of the bag, frost fell from the fabric onto my still sleeping wife's face. Wasn't a pretty start to the day. The bike was totally covered in thick frost (windshield was impossible to see through and I wasn't about to try and scrape for fear of scratching the lexan. We packed up as the bike sat in the sun and the frost slowly turned into cold water. We had good leathers and clothes to layer but we were chilled to the bone before we got going and we put our rain gear on for another layer of wind protection. We rode for almost an hour before the temp crossed the freezing mark and the sun at our back offered little warmth. I pulled into a service station and coffe shop for gas, coffe and breakfast and my hands were so cold I couldn't squeeze the clutch lever. I dry shifted the bike int o neutral and coasted to the storefront nearly dropping us on the ground thanks to my frozen feet, hands and legs. We shook like dogs crapping razor blades while we ate, but the food and coffe and the warmth inside did their work and an hour later we were off and riding under cloudless skies and slowly rising air temps. By the time we got into BC just after noon, we were peeling off layers of clothes until we were back in just our riding suits and regular clothing underneath. We made camp that evening on Mara Lake in Sicamous after stoping at the local hardware store and getting mats and an axe, and the rest of the trip is history.
My wife never complained after the fisrt night in the tent, and aside from our rather rough start, we had a fantastic trip over the next two weeks. We toured two up every summer after that until 1995.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
At the risk of sounding really corny...I'm at a stage in life where I try to make all my rides memorable.
I am with ya....that is why I took the opportunity to ride with jondog9 last summer.

Maybe this year I can meet up with another lucky member to ride with on their turf.:D:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I am with ya....that is why I took the opportunity to ride with jondog9 last summer.

Maybe this year I can meet up with another lucky member to ride with on their turf.:D:cool:
Come and visit nobody and I, I would be glad to entertain you here. The 3 of us could really piss on the locals here in vic :D Cast out some awesome sound waves with 3 RC's;)!!! Got a space for you to crash too, Water view workshop with Pool table and tunes !!!!:D

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Come and visit nobody and I, I would be glad to entertain you here. The 3 of us could really piss on the locals here in vic :D Cast out some awesome sound waves with 3 RC's;)!!! Got a space for you to crash too, Water view workshop with Pool table and tunes !!!!:D
I have been known to take up offers like this.;)

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Your welcome anytime bud......:)
Just give me a little notice as to let me set it up with the wife and make sure the "Water view workshop suite" is not already booked with the bosses folks.
We built the fridge right into the wall, as I said pool table, T.v, stereo, lots of nice vantage points off the huge balcony of the Gorge Waterway....and it's right above the indoor pool.
All the amenities of home, well maybe more;):D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts