RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in touch with Luis's dad and he is ready to rebuild the RC. Some newer members may not be familiar with this, but our friend Luis...(yumyumchef).. passed away recently as a result of injuries he sustained when he laid his RC down. It's a great loss to his immediate, and extended board family. His bike was his love. It's his fathers wish to rebuild Luis's bike and we can all be a part of it. I am in the process of getting a list of parts needed to get this project completed. If you can help in any way, it would be so appreciated:D. As soon as I have the list, I will post it. I know some of us can't help in the parts department, but have the technical skills that can really help things out. This forum meant alot to him, as he did to us. His dad mentioned in particular Chixwithtrix rebuild thread and how much he enjoyed following it. I know we all look forward to making this project happen!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
So sorry to hear of the loss of one of our brothers on here. I couldn't imagine losing my son before I go myself when I'm old... His dad sounds a positive man, in the face of what must be one of the most difficult losses in his life.

Don't know if I have any spare parts, but I'd be happy to send what I do have (Top fairing?) from Japan to help pitch in.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I have mint OEM exhaust hangers with the pegs, rear seat in mint shape and an OEM rear seat cowl ( '01 paint scheme ) and some mint OEM heel guards that I can donate right off the top of my head for now. Let me know if it is needed ???

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would expect no less from everybody here....thanks for the offers! I just got off the phone with his dad, he is going to send me some pictures of the bike, hopefully today. I'll post them ASAP so this way we can get a good look at what it's going to take to get this running again. His father would love to be able to ride it out to his gravesite. He also offered to pay for the parts needed, I told him we'll worry about that later. He couldn't stop talking about how much Luis loved his bike and how this board helped him in the days following the accident. We discuss how welcoming and friendly this forum is, here's a perfect example. His dad's praise is a high compliment for all of you who take part and make this what it has become, so from his lips...thank you. Luis was only 31 when he passed away, and was waiting surgery to start repairing the damage that had been done. I will keep you all as up to date as I can.....

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Sadly, this was all caused by a group of unfenced, loose dogs in his neighborhood.
The owners of whom, wouldn't talk with Luis about repairing his bike.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I remember when he posted about his accident. I had no idea his injuries were so life threatening. This makes me very sad. Such a shame to lose a fellow rider/RC owner. If he had an SP1, I have some OEM pipes I'd be happy to donate.

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The support for this project has been overwhelming both on and off the board. I'm still waiting for a primliminary list so we can get the ball rolling. I plan on talking with his dad tonight.

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got off the phone with dad...he and Luis had put together a list of parts they needed to get the bike back together while he was trying to get better. He is going to scan the list and send it our way. The bike is in running condition, and I did find out were going to need a clutch reservoir. This is just a thought, but I know that Luis really wanted to get together with as many of us as he could. We had an open invitation to his place, said he would have the food ready! Not sure if this could happen, but when the weather gets a little nicer, a meet & greet can be put together and we could go with his dad and take the bike to where he's at rest. Like I said, just thinking out loud...I have seen mentions of getting members together now and then. He lived in Alabama and was buried in Tuscaloosa.

·
Registered
100 Posts
PERNIA, LUIS ALFONSO Age 31, of Birmingham, died Sept. 17, 2012, at home.He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Mary Jo Pernia, and Herta Taruntaev, and Boris Taruntaev. Survivors include his mother, Helena Buchalter (Robert); his father, Luis Ronald Pernia (Jennele); his sisters, Marianna Kaufman and Chloe Pernia; his brothers, Blake Buchalter, Eric Buchalter, and Santiago Pernia; and his grandfather, Jose Luis Pernia. Luis was born in Birmingham, Ala. on March 3, 1981. He moved to Tuscaloosa with his family at age 3. He graduated from St. Bernard Prep School in Cullman and attended the University of Alabama for three and one-half years. Luis continued his education at Virginia College and earned a culinary degree. He was a talented chef. He loved animals all his life and rescued as many as he could. He and his dog, "Miss Jackson", were inseparable in later years. Pallbearers will be Blake Buchalter, Eric Buchalter, John Schofield, Joshua Gilbert, Michael Farrens, and Michael Gilbert. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Humane Society or another animal rescue organization. Condolences may be sent at: www.tuscaloosamemorial.com.

Sent from my M865 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Got the list...looks like this needed just about everything:

For a 2001.....

Rear Tail Section
Left Headlight
Fork Seals
Left side Fairing
Brake reservoir
Snorkel
Mirrors......SubSailor
Signals, Front & Rear......MakisRC51
Clip ons......madbuyer
High & Lowbeam Switch.......wingnut
Rear Brake Caliper........nobody
Windscreen W/ Screws........nobody
Levers.......Duckhunter

The goal here is to get this in running condition. The parts don't have to be perfect. I'm sure there are some things that may have been left off, like clutch lever..etc. We have a member who lives in the area who has generously offered his time and technical know-how. Once he sees the bike, he can fill in some of the blanks. I will update this list as we get the parts. If you have anything listed you can spare, PM me and I'll give you the shipping address off the board. I had thought of this as well, but it was suggested that some of you that can't help with parts may want to throw in a couple dollars to offset parts that may need to be purchased. If there's enough of a demand, we can set up some type of donation link. If you have any questions that you need addressed off the forum, please feel free to get in touch with me privately and I'll be more than happy to answer any questions.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts